Hi All, I've been doing my own research in the shopify application store but not yet found an inventory management application that suits all of these requirements. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
* Products sold are made up of bulk quantities, as an example I wouldn't be selling 1 coffee bean. There would be amounts of 250, 500, 1000, etc. How would I integrate these amounts into the product listing? Currently its just set as a variant but I don't know how to tie that into a stock amount. eg the 250 bean variant removes 250 beans from stock.
* Premade boxes/or bundles containing multiple other products, eg a 250 pack, a 500 pack or something else.
* Multiple bundles can use the same source products.
* Custom build your own bundles.
* Using Recharge as a subscription service, it must be able to integrate into inventory management solution.
* I have a "Box Of the Month" product listing, where it has different source items each month, would I have to create a different product listing for each much? That might be bad for SEO. Ideally I would be able to just modify the source products of the bundle and that will reflect in the inventory management system.
Most apps are generalist solutions as you stack up specific requirements it becomes more unlikely to find an off the shelf app that does everything.
You will need to either break apart the requirements and use several apps, or you will need to develop a custom solution.
Sometimes you may also be better off restructuring how you handle product inventory data on shopify.
For example selling by the bean is similar enough to selling by the weight.
So you could just have 1 variant = 1 bean and use the literal order quantity to represent the amount and use discounts to scale prices in bulk.
This could drastically shift how you sync inventory but doesn't work in all cases.
As for recharge the only thing I believe would be an issue is inability to fulfill orders, otherwise recharge bills and the order system takes care of the inventory anyway. LMK if some point of view on this.
If your single channel online-store then:
Premade boxes,bundles, most of the time are just order form customizations of other products you add to the cart and one "container" product.
Meaning if you just add the literal products to the cart you don't have to worry about the inventory in a more abstract "bundle".
Box-of-the-month same thing , though simplest way is to make this a collection with a custom template that adds all those products to the cart.
That way since it's a collection you only need 1 place to swap out that months products.
If you want to soft automate to make everything in advanced you could use a /page instead with permacart links or buy buttons.
Hey @megansns -- I'm actually working on a product that helps organizing and facilitating inventory management, with specific features for produced goods. I'd love to learn about the specific painpoints you are experiencing and if the solution I'm building can help out. Want to shoot me an email at gary[at]explo.co?
Looking forward to it!