Is it possible to bulk import gift cards?

Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi, similar to how the Bulk Discounts app works, is it possible to make an app that allows me to import from CSV a large number of gift cards I sold through a third party?  I imagine the CSV would need a 16 digit alpha-numeric code, the customers name and email, and the value of the card along with a few other data points.

If something like this isn't available already, can I pay to have it developed?

Thanks

Replies 30 (30)

JesseF8
Shopify Staff (Retired)
151 0 12

Hey Ryan!

Jesse from Shopify here.

While this is not currently supported, there is an existing feature request for similar functionality (generating discount codes in bulk) that I took the liberty of upvoting for us. I also added your feedback here as a use case.

Feel free to reach out at any time if you have any other questions.

http://docs.shopify.com/support

support@shopify.com

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Andy53
Tourist
4 0 7

We're in the same boat. Have over 2500 gift card codes created for our old site and now need a way to activate them for this site. The bulk dicount generator app does not work because it won't leave a remaining balance for the customer - just a one time discount. 

From what I can tell, the only way to issue a gift card in the admin is one at a time. Is that correct?

321timfin
Tourist
6 0 2

Were you able to work around this?  Please explain how if you did, thanks.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @321timfin,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Since 2015 when the original post in this thread was posted this hasn't been added to the Shopify admin natively. so if that's the way you'd like to distribute the credit, you'd need to manually issue those cards one by one, which would be an extremely onerous task if you have more than a good few. 

There is however a workaround which could be a potential solution for you. It involves issuing discount codes for those customers you want to issue the gift cards for. 

1. Upload your customers with a CSV, following the doc right over here.  There's a template on that doc; when you're filling it out, put tags on your customers equal to the reward level you'd like to give them; Referral 25 for example, but you can use whatever works for you!

2. Once you have them all uploaded, create customer lists based on those tags.  In the customer page of your admin, you can create those by filtering for the tag you've used, either by typing directly into the search bar or using the filter dropdown.  Once you've run that search, there'll be a 'save this search' option.  Click it and give it a name, and now you've got a customer list!  Any new customers with this tag will automatically be included.

3. Once your lists are set up, you can then create a discount for customers based on lists.  Here's an example of what that might look like!

For this to work, they'll need to be signed in and to have the code that you've set up - this is something you could distribute to them in an email, or put instructions up on a page in your store, whichever you prefer!

There is also an app which might be able to help you with what you need. It's called Rise Gift Card Loyalty Program and allows you to send gift cards in bulk. It is a bit expensive, but it's definitely worth a look to see if it can help you. 

Hopefully, this helps in some way and gives you a couple of options! 

All the best, Nick

321timfin
Tourist
6 0 2

Could I upgrade to Shopify Plus for the shortest possible period of time, upload via API, then downgrade back to my current plan?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @321timfin

This wouldn't be possible really. The reason being is when someone moves to Plus, there is a contract in place and it's not as simple as simply moving up or down a plan. Because of this, it would be cheaper overall to go the route via the app as mentioned above. 

Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi @Nick ,

With regards to the Rise app, it seems to work with any Shopify plan level not just Plus.  Do they have a special deal with Shopify or can anyone figure out their own API now?  As you said they're quite expensive and my business plan (not PdV Motorsports that I'm signed in as) requires all my B2B customers to have something similar to that but it would be beneficial for me to just give away the app for free when they use my service.

Thanks

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Ryan_McGuinness,

No, they wouldn't have any special deal with Shopify, it would be the same set up like any other app on the Shopify App Store. These questions might be best to reach out to the app developer directly about as they would definitely know best and be able to give you the most appropriate answer. You can reach out to the app developer Rise at their contact page on their website here

Porter1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Nick Any update on other apps available in the shopify appstore that allow for bulk gift card creation/importing a batch of gift card codes, aside from Rise.ai? It is too expensive for that one feature, which is all I would use. There must be other apps that service Shopify Plus stores with this functionality? Thanks.

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1

Hi Porter, 

We have a private app that we used mutliple times for Plus users that allows to upload bulk gift cards, we litrally did it on one of the stores last week. 

banned
Rochelled
Tourist
3 0 0

@Moe_Farhat I'd love to learn more about your private app and if it's something that could work for us. Would you mind sharing?

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1
Please go ahead fill your info on our website so we can schedule a call.
banned
Network
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Moe,

Did you ever end up developing this app? I would love to know more! 

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1
Yes it is a private all that works in shopify plus. We did it for multiple
customers already. --

Moe Farhat

Founder & CEO

Webinopoly
800-650-9892 | 713-805-5888
moe@webinopoly.com
webinopoly.com
7324 Southwest Fwy, Suite 1460, Houston, TX
[image: facebook]
[image: linkedin]
Have questions? Click here to schedule a call.
banned
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Porter1,

The Rise.ai app would still be the best way forward with this. As @Moe_Farhat mentioned, he has an app but you might need to be on Shopify Plus for it. Can you confirm this is the case Moe?

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1

Hi Guys, 

The problem here is not about making the app, we already have it, the problem is that Shopify Gift Card APIs won't be enabled for regular users, the package must be on PLUS to be able to have access to those apis. 

I hope this makes sense. 

banned
Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

@Porter1 and everyone else on Shopify,

My new startup is funding the development for a solution to this that will be free to use for all.  I'll post here again if it is successful, hopefully by August.

Rochelled
Tourist
3 0 0

@Ryan_McGuinness We are looking for a solution here as well. Did you have any luck?

Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

@Rochelled we literally received our updated site code while you're were typing your question.  Its been delayed but still a 2020 solution I hope.

Rochelled
Tourist
3 0 0

@Ryan_McGuinness any progress on the solution you were working on back in 2020? 

Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

No, sorry.  The company ran out of money.

Ryan_McGuinness
Tourist
7 0 4

Yeah, still nothing available that I'm aware of.

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1

Webinopoly.com created a private app that can be installed on any Shopify Plus (You must be on PLUS) store that allows admins to create bulk gift cards. The app is pretty handy and works perfect. 

banned
lattice
Visitor
3 0 2

Would you be able to link the repo for this project? I was unable to find the webinopoly gift card importer private app via google / github.

Moe_Farhat
Shopify Partner
23 0 1

Hi Lattice, 

You can contact us at webinopoly.com to give you a quote for your project. 

banned
Pandaflow
Excursionist
50 0 6

Hello Lattice -

If you are not able to find a solution let me know and I can add the Giftcard endpoint API to our platform so that you can bulk load directly from GoogleSheet or Airtable hello@pandaflow.io

B_Ash
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi,

Can you help with this pls. Is you Google Sheet live. We have a different Gift Card amount for each customer.

Thanks

Anto_S
Shopify Partner
148 4 19

Hi @B_Ash 

We can do this with a custom sheet on Sheet Master | Shopify App Store

Please email me at anto@comstack.co and we will set you up.

thanks

Anto

Automating Commerce at Comstack.co
Email: anto@comstack.co

GiannaGNV
5 0 0

Hello guys, 
are any of you using the ERP plentymarkets and have found a solution to activate gift card codes that were automatically created for gift cards in plenty markets in Shopify? We are currently struggling to find a solution, so that we don't have to manually activate every gift card code that was used.
Thanks! Gianna

Chris_Malone
Tourist
8 0 5

Knock knock, I shouldn't have to use an app to do this. @Shopify what updates are there to this?