Is there an app for creating discount codes but excludes particular states/regions?

LorettaR
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey there,

We want to be able to offer a free shipping discount code (e.g. FREESHIPGWW) and send this out in our subscriber welcome cycles. However, we need to be able to have the discount code only apply when the customer's shipping state/region is allowed from a specified range. We're in Australia and there are 8 states/regions. We need to excude 3 of them from the shipping discount code i.e. if the customer tried to use the discount code, it would not apply and would return an error message.

We don't want this to be an automatic discount at checkout, we want it to be a discount code that we invite certain people to use .We wouldn't all customers in the 5 approved states to have free shipping automatically applied.

Does anyone know of an app that would allow us to do this?

Thanks

Replies 3 (3)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @LorettaR!

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

Thanks for connecting with us and sharing your question. Since cart discounts occur before shipping addresses are verified in the checkout process, I wasn't able to find an existing app that explicitly offers this feature.

With that being said, I can suggest the following:

• Use the built-in discount feature to determine customer eligibility. This is used in conjunction with the customer email address, therefore, if you're only providing this option to customers in select states, only orders from there should be coming in. This may be the simpler solution for ease of use and tracking purposes.

• Consult a Shopify Expert for a custom app. If this is a feature you intend on using regularly with your store and is very important to your workflow, I would recommend discussing permanent solutions with a developer. 

I trust either of those solutions will help, but don't hesitate to let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Unfortunately Shopify discount code doesn't have a way to exclude particular states.

I have thought of a workaround for your use case, would it be possible to set the shipping rates for the 3 excluded states to higher than the rest of the states?

You can create shipping zone in your Store admin > Shipping > Shipping Zone and select the 3 excluded states, and price the shipping rate higher than X. (X is a fixed amount, eg A$10)

And then you can create another shipping zone for the rest of the states, and ensure the shipping rate is lower than X.

Then when you create the free shipping discount code, check the "exclude shipping rates over a certain amount", and input X as the amount. This way, the more expensive shipping to the 3 excluded states wont be able to use this discount code.

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 7.06.23 PM.png

hope this workaround can work for you.

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thanks for adding your suggestions to this thread, @soulchild37!

It is very much appreciated, and I trust our readers will find that helpful.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog