Is there any Workflow automation app that works in real time?

Sreejoy
8 0 0

There are a few automation apps but most of them have limited functionalities and most importantly none of them can get the job done in real.

I'm looking for an app or even some coding wlil do which can get certain automation job done in real time.

0 Likes
rsfxiii
Tourist
24 0 1

When you say "real-time," is this meant to describe having the progress of an automation job visible or actually watching the values change before your eyes?

0 Likes
Sreejoy
8 0 0

Real time as in - the moment the order is created the product needs to be updated without any delay. A few automation apps I saw does work but there is considerable amount of delay in the process.

0 Likes
rsfxiii
Tourist
24 0 1

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will always be some delay.

All apps you will encounter face common performance limitations, which can be reduced, but honestly never fully mitigated. When it comes to speed of an "app" there are many factors at play, most which are inherent to the physical limits of the environment of a Web application. Some applications will try their best at understanding and minimizing these bottlenecks in performance, but many others will not.

When you talk about "real-time," you are often talking about processes completing not instantly, but seemingly instantly, like within 100 to 500 milliseconds. When you use various apps, not just in Shopify, but everywhere -- and you want them to process a large amount of data: compare this to how quickly a small amount of data is processed. If small jobs are done quickly (less than 10 resource items), but a 1,000 item job is done slowly, then this application likely does not engineer for performance honestly to any degree. A performant application, in my opinion, should be prepared to handle large jobs for many Users at once -- or at least get started on them immediately and allow me to assure my User via the app data that the job is being processed.

Keep in mind that some apps may simple begin trickling data to the User (you) to show progress in "real-time," but because of the many layers of technical infrastructure (many of which are not controllable by Shopify, the "app" developer, or anyone) you cannot truly have instantaneous processing, transmitting, response parsing, and then rendering to the User device's be instant, but as close to instant as possible.

I hope this rant makes sense. I changed direction with it multiple times.

0 Likes
Sreejoy
8 0 0

100 - 500 milliseconds delay is definitely acceptable but, I am seeing apps with 5 or more minutes delay which can nullify the requirement. Can you please help me with a code set/App which I can use in order to achieve this?

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1195 106 290

There may be an intentional reason for delay with some apps. For example I have an app that does order processing, if it runs the jobs immediately, data can get corrupted because Shopify also takes actions on orders, so I have the execution wait 5 seconds to ensure integrity with the order data.

You can also see delays in some apps if the load is high / large number of requests in a short time frame. 5 minutes seems on the high side but maybe there's a reason for it.

What goal are you trying to achieve?

I work with automation + have personally used hundreds of Shopify apps. Let me know your problem and I'll try to help with a solution or recommendation.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes
Sreejoy
8 0 0

Let me explain in bullet points and sequence what we're trying to achieve here:

1. An order for a product is created

2. Check if the product that is sold has a particular tag

3. If YES, un-publish the product

4. And then remove the said tag

5. If NO, do nothing.

I am using "Arigato Automation" for this, but it seems to implement the trigger with 5 minute delay. We need the Product to be un-published ASAP, a 5 second delay is still understandable but 5 minutes is too high.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1195 106 290

Cool, ya we can do that with Order Automator. It's not a feature out of the box, but we do customizations like this.

Send me the details to joe@speedboostr.com:
- What is the name of the product tag that will trigger this action
- A URL of an example product

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes
Sreejoy
8 0 0

Thanks for the help. I just got it working using "Automation Fox" - it looks fine and the trigger speed is also good. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll keep you posted as I test it.

0 Likes
Pandaflow
Excursionist
41 0 4

You can try our app called Pandaflow you can automate tasks within Shopify or you can connect with other apps in real-time. Use Event Connection (Orders, Products, Customers) Create , Delete , update, and then trigger other actions. 

See an example here of on Orders Paid to create a customer in Salesforce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXLP8hwbVI

The real-time depends on Webhook speed plus the webservice of the other systems. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions at hello@pandaflow.io

0 Likes