Klaviyo Checkout Abandonment Missing Abandoned Cart Trigger

Solved
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi,

I'm just now noticing that Klaviyo's abandoned cart flow only triggers  when someone begins filling in the order form NOT when they actually abandoned cart. This leaves behind potential sales that otherwise could be captured with abandoned cart emails. Is there another app that I can use in conjunction w/ Klaviyo to resolve this? I like Klaviyo so I don't want to leave all together. 

Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
257 25 53

Hi, @elaine_19!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Automated emails are a great way to recover abandoned checkouts. However, these emails are only sent once the customer begins to enter their information in the checkout. The reason why Klaviyo's abandoned cart flow doesn't trigger before this point is because there is no way to collect the customer's email address without the customer entering the checkout process. Without entering their personal information in the checkout and providing their email address, it wouldn't be possible to send your customers an email. 

However, there are other ways you can recover abandoned checkouts without needing an email address. For example, you could use an app like Recart FB Messenger Marketing or Smart Cart Recovery. Both of these apps integrate directly with Facebook Messenger to send messages to customers who have left your website without having purchased the items in their cart, even if they have not started the checkout process. With Messenger becoming increasingly more popular, these apps are definitely worth considering. 

Another option is Conversion Plus, which gives you the ability to add a countdown timer to your cart and product pages, creating a sense of urgency and "fear of missing out". You could also consider using PushOwl Web Push Notifications, which allows you to utilize pop-ups and push notifications to bring users back to your store. Both of these apps are quite popular and have great reviews. I recommend checking them out to see if they'll suit your needs. 

Are you currently running any retargeting ads? Aside from using an app, you could create Facebook dynamic retargeting ads, which can be done directly through Shopify. Once you've set this up, customers will see Facebook carousel ads that display the products they viewed or added to their cart. If you're a Facebook user and tend to shop online, you might have even personally experienced these types of ads in your own Facebook Newsfeed. Dynamic retargeting ads are a great marketing tool that keep your products in front of customers. As an incentive, you could even include a discount code in these ads, which is another great push for customers to return to your store. 

As you continue to work on your abandoned cart flow within Klaviyo, I recommend checking out our blog post, "13 Amazing Abandoned Cart Emails (And What You Can Learn From Them)". This post includes a lot of great tips on how to create effective abandoned cart emails and also shares examples from other companies using Shopify. I think you'll find it pretty useful! 

Ultimately, while it isn't possible to send a customer an email without gathering their information, I hope these workarounds provide you with a few ideas. Let me know which one piques your interest the most! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 0

Wow! This is all great info. I'll def look into these. Thanks!

0 Likes