Knowing what search terms people are using on your site

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and this may have been answered before, but I would like to know what people are searching for on my site. We have a little search box, which is convenient for visitors, but it's not providing us any feedback. Wouldn't it be valuable if we knew what people are searching for, so we can cater our inventory/catalog to them?

For example, you're selling t-shirts in the colours red, green and orange. People go to your site and see only these colours, so they use the search bar to search for "pink t-shirt", because that's what they want. I would like to know that they want this, so we can add pink shirts to the collection.

I think this should be fairly simple to build into a report of some sort.

Am I wrong?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
288 0 222

Hey Mark,

There isn't a report that displays this (but that's a great idea and one I'll pass on). To do keyword research on your Shopify site, the simplest way to do that would be to use Google Analytics. CrazyEgg has written a really great guide to setting up parameters to do that.

Shopify's built in search will look like this: yourstore.com/search?q=search+term

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Excellent! That helps a lot, actually. The Crazyegg article is a little outdated when it comes to the steps to get to the site search, but you helped me point me in the right direction. More accurate steps can be found here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012264?hl=en

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi,

Are you aware if shopify offers now an easier way to find out what search terms visitors used on a shopify website ? 

Thanks,

peter

0 Likes