Limiting inventory based on geography

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 7

Problem: I need to limit a certain product category so it can't be bought from a certain geographical area.

ex: I want product 1 to be able to be bought worldwide but product 2 I can't sell to shipping zone A, so I need to make it so they can't order it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

This is an accepted solution.

Problem: I need to limit a certain product category so it can't be bought from a certain geographical area.

ex: I want product 1 to be able to be bought worldwide but product 2 I can't sell to shipping zone A, so I need to make it so they can't order it.

Hi @Kevin_Liddell,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. This is something which is not directly native to the Shopify platform but can be done via a workaround with the shipping settings via a Shipping Zone. For example, if you set the shipping zone for Australia to be a certain maximum weight allowed for an order, you can then edit the products weight that it would always go over the limit and thus not allow the product to be sold to anyone in that shipping zone. 

However, you can approach this by taking the route of an app. There are some apps which enable you to lock certain products or pages on your website from someone has a certain IP address or is visiting from a specific country. There are two apps which spring to mind straight away for this: 

I hope this helps and gives you what you're looking for. Should you have any other questions about this or anything else, please let me know. 🙂

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like