Local Delivery App requirements

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 9

Hi

I am building a store for a local firewood supplier, who only sells and delivers to customers within a 30 mile radius. So I need to have robust way of tailoring a local delivery option.

I have had a look through the market place but not sure if I am missing an app which fullfils the following requirements

1. Force 'Local Delivery' on all orders, but with possiblity to also add 'Pick-up from store' at a later date.
  2. Set delivery costs based on distance from business.
  3. Set a max distance for delivery, if customer is beyond this distance then they cannot order. Preferably allow a custom message to be displayed.
  4. Allow customer to select a delivery date with 4 slots per day 2x AM 2x PM.
  5. Limit the delivery days. For example no deliveries on a Sunday. Or other adhoc days when needed.
  6. Allow customer to select an option to pay cash on delivery. - Optional but not essential as I think there are other apps out there that do this one.

This is a small home run business so I am hoping that if any app can fulfil these requirements doesn't cost a lot per month but we can cross that bridge when it comes to it :)

Regards

Gareth

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
23 0 1

Hi Gareth!

Excellent question. Most of these requirements can actually be tweaked within the shipping and payment settings of your client's store, although for the delivery dates and shipping regions you may wish to employ the use of an app. To start things off, let's discuss what can be done in the Admin alone :).

• For the Local Delivery and Pick-Up From Store options, you could instate two different shipping rates for your region, with the latter being a free shipping option. This can be done by clicking Settings in the bottom left of the Admin, then Shipping, after which you can select "add rate" under priced based rates, as seen in this image here. Just make sure your ranges for both rates are from "$0 and up" so as to include the rates for all possible checkouts.
  • For selecting from 4 different time periods for delivery, this could be achieved by enabling customer notes on orders during checkout. The language above the text field can then be edited in the Theme’s Language Editor to indicate the 4 time periods your client would like. In this instance, you'd want to search "instructions for seller" and then edit the text, as seen in this image here.
  • For paying Cash on Delivery, this can be enabled in the Admin by clicking on the Settings section on the bottom left, then Payment Providers. From there, scroll down the page to Manual Payments, then select Cash on Delivery from the drop down. More information on this over here!

In regards to limiting delivery days and shipping locations, you would then be looking at utilizing an app. For the former, I would recommend Delivery Date, which on the business plan option makes delivery dates optional or mandatory, whereas the free has them at only optional. You may find that the free option offers enough functionality for this as well, although it does have a lower limit on orders per month and might make Sundays and holidays something the customer could potentially bypass, so I would give it a try but keep the option of upgrading to the next plan type on the table just in case.

For the latter, Better Shipping is one of our more popular options, as it allows for rates on areas by zip code, meaning you could have price fluctuations based on those regions as well as opt to not offer rates for those too far outside the 30 mile range. You may find that the app Advanced Shipping Rules also fulfills this need as desired, and it's a bit more affordable, so it would be worth checking that one out as well!

I feel with these options you should be all set to go! If you have any follow up thoughts on this, however, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Tom | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 9

Hi Tom

Thanks for your well thought out reply.

I installed each of the app (one at a time) in my dev store and unfortunately, none of them, or even a combination of them met all my criteria mentioned above :(

Regarding specifically the 'Delivery range' requirement, 2 of the apps you mentioned could technically do this but they worked by zip/postcodes only. Here in the UK we have 1.8 million postcodes (compared to USA's 45K zip codes), so in our little 30-mile radius there is a ridiculous number of postcodes I would have to figure out :( I'm surprised there isn't anything utilizing google maps API's to allow users to input a postcode and it will check the distance from your store address in Shopify to their postcode and sort it like that.

The Delivery Dates app would have been good if it has the ability for 'delivery slots' as well. I know you mentioned allow the customer to put it in their order notes which slot but I need it to not allow booking on a date when the slots are all taken. So the free text method in a notes field wouldn't achieve that.

If you can think of any other apps out there then please feel free to let me know, otherwise, I will continue my search.

Regards

Gareth

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1228 5 81

Hi Gareth,

I need it to not allow booking on a date when the slots are all taken

We have quite a few folks using BookThatApp for that: https://apps.shopify.com/bookthatapp

E.g. https://www.thejuicetruck.ca/

Limit the delivery days. For example no deliveries on a Sunday. Or other adhoc days when needed.

BookThatApp has the ability to set up opening hours for general availabilty. On top of that you can easily add blacked out days to the calendar for things like holidays etc.

Also, not sure if you need it be we also support sending reminders before/after the date.

There is a free trial so please feel free to take a look.

Thanks, Gavin.

www.bookthatapp.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 9

Hi Gavin, thanks for your input. I will check out you app in the morning and get back to you ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I am also looking for this EXACT thing, did you ever find a good solution? Would love to know about it, if so!

0 Likes