Looking for app to discount based on variants

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hoping someone has a suggestion...I sell custom clothing.   So a base model  shirt is available in 30 different fabrics say.   I need to be able to put a fabric (variant) on sale,  not the shirt.   So if they order the shirt in that particular fabric they get a discount, but not if they order in a  non-sale fabric.   Online clothing stores do this all the time...e.g. list a t-shirt, and last seasons colors discounted but the new season's colors are not.   How to achieve this in Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
400 49 87

Hey, Lypeaches!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

You can update the prices of certain variants in your products without adjusting the price of the others. To do this you'll want to go to the product page in the admin and adjust the price. To make the change to just one variant you can click on the variants title. This will load up the page for that individual variant.
24-09-lvxyb-g85oi
While editing the price you can also set the compare at price to be the same as the other variants to display that this one is one sale. Products with a compare at price that is higher than their price will display both numbers. The compare at price will have a strike through to show that the product has been marked down.

Have you thought about timing your sale with a marketing push to raise customer awareness and get people connected with your brand while there is a deal available?

If you'd like to have the on sale variants appear in different collections or other areas of your site you could also create a new product and only include the options that are currently on sale. Once the fabrics are sold out you can either hide the sale product by making it unavailable or delete it from your admin entirely.

I hope this helps with the set up you're looking for. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thank you,

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Lizzy,

That is helpful, but unfortunately not a solution that works for me.  I have too many variants....I quickly exceed the Shopify 100 variant limit, so I am using Hulk Code Custom Products Option app.    Which works great, as long as I am ADDING to the base price of a product.   But I am unable to subtract from the base price of the product (ie. put any of my product options or variants) on sale.     I contacted them, and other apps, and so far they all say that the Shopify platform doesn't allow for that function.   So now I am approaching from another angle, trying to see if there's a sale or discount app that will achieve the same net result.   The only solution that has been offered thus far is that I create a unique product for each sale option.   But that is not practical....I have over 200 products, and each of them are available in at minimum 20 fabric options, some of them in all fabric options, over a 100.  it would quickly escalate into a massive website....

Do you have any ideas?   

Thank you,

Janelle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
400 49 87

Hi Janelle.

Thank you for letting me know! I've thought about your products and there are a few possible solutions. 

The first would be to set the base price of your product to be lower, and increase the price of add ons. This would mean that when your products go on sale, you could reduce the price of the specific variants that you're offering on sale without affecting the others.

The next option would be to create a sale section of your site, where you list the fabrics that you're retiring as products and include variants as the styles. I know you mentioned adding new products may cause your catalogue to become overwhelming, but depending on how your sales are set up this this could be an option that wouldn't overcrowd the site.

The last solution I considered was using an automatic discount app, that has rules relating to the variants you'd like to discount. When a customer adds them to the cart they will automatically have a discount applied. The main drawback with this option is that you would need to create discounts for the various quantities of the product. I've listed some automatic discount apps below for your to take a look at.

Automatic Discount

Discount Ninja

You could also reach out to a Shopify Expert to discuss the possibility of them custom coding an option like this for you. You can find the Shopify Experts here.

I hope one of these options helps out, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Lizzy | Shopify Guru

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey Janelle,

Here is a solution you may like. Instant Bulk Discount & Sales app allows applying discounts to product variants. All you need is to add all your fabric variants into the discount rule and apply a discount.

Hope, it solves your problem :)

Apply discounts for thousands of products in a few seconds: https://apps.shopify.com/instant-bulk-discount-sales
1 Like

I had the same needs as Janelle. The app you recommended is perfect for me. Thanks!

eCommerce Director | Straight Hemp
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi, have you found a solution for creating a discount for more than 100 variants? 

0 Likes