Can You Sell Products at Different Prices in Various Countries on Shopify?

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello,

Does any app allow to sell a single product at multiple prices in multiple countries in any currency? Say if my store is based in Canada, can I sell a single artefact at $100 CAD in Canada and at 100 Euros in Spain to cover my shipping costs or just to earn higher profits if I can sell higher to that market?

So far I've found the app called Multi Country Pricing but it costs $29USD per month - looking for an alternative.

Thank you!

Replies 12 (12)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @JulieGalaise,

If you're looking to set different prices for different countries and regions, you would need to use either a third-party pricing app such as Multi Country Pricing, or you could utilize multiple Shopify stores to appeal to and customize your store to different regions. The former option would allow you to set different prices on the same store and then manage everything from a single Shopify admin, whereas having numerous stores would allow you greater customization for different countries beyond just pricing (e.g. differing storefront design and product offerings).

The more straightforward option would be the former and there are other apps you could consider instead of Multi Country Pricing, such as Pricing By Country & Currency (although their monthly costs are very similar).

Whilst not allowing you to set different prices for different regions, please be aware that Shopify does offer a new international domains feature that allows you to set specific languages and currencies to different domains attached to the store. This means that, for example, a customer in Spain would be able to browse the store in Spanish, with the prices set to EUR, even if your store's default language is in English and currency is CAD. You are also able to set different shipping costs to different countries and regions via shipping zones, meaning that you can account for higher shipping costs for some locations by setting higher shipping prices for the customer to pay.

I hope I have helped here, but please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello Victor, thank you very much for the time you took to clearly explain my options.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.. I will be using Shopify Fulfilment Services so going to an upgraded plan - even if this will cost an extra monthly recurring $50USD VS $29USD for those 2 apps - I rather pay a little more than I need to now for the simplicity on the longer term (meaning I wouldn't have to deal with uninstalling an app when the other upgraded plan features actually have value for me, which will happen in a near future).

I'm thinking of 2 options to set my store up and would like your advice on what would be optimal in simplicity first, economical second:

Option 1. Canadian shoppers see CAD prices - say $39CAD & ALL NON-Canadian shoppers ONLY see USD prices - set say at $39USD (unaffected by a currency rate)

So only 2 rates are available - CAD & USD - But the languages would match the countries language

OR

Option 2. All of the above with the exception of adding EUROS currency but my concern with this option is that I feel this would make it complicated to manage the currency for shoppers that are outside of Europe and the USA - that's why I'd rather have Option 1 - to keep things simple. If you think setting up EURO currency for European shoppers would make a valuable difference to sell to that market, I will definitely go with this option and set USD for ALL shoppers outside of Canada and Europe.

Would Shopify upgraded plan $79USD enable me to do either Option 1 and Option 2 - if not, which direction would you go if you were in my situation?

Thanking you for you very much appreciated attention.

Julie

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @JulieGalaise,

Thank you for providing this further information. I don't think there's a wrong or right decision here, and it really comes down to whether or not you wish to immediately start selling to the EU as well as in North America, or if you'd be happy to focus on the USA and Canada for now before expanding into the European market down the line. I would generally recommend having a good understanding of the markets you intend to sell into before you do start selling there, which comes with a number of considerations—how to market your products there, how much it will cost to ship products, what your tax obligations are, etc.

With Option 1, you could set your default currency to USD so that this is the currency all merchants see when visiting the store, but you could also add in a currency selector on the store. This would allow Canadian merchants to browse the store with prices converted to CAD, along with any other currencies you wanted to enable. Currency selectors come built in to some Shopify themes, such as Debut and Brooklyn, or can be added in to other themes if you hire a Shopify Expert. There are also a number of apps that offer this functionality.

You can use the above recommendations for Option 2 as well, and just enable EUR as a currency on your store. All of the above can be done on our Basic plan ($29 USD per month), but if you're on the Shopify plan ($79 USD per month) you'd be able to make use of the aforementioned international domains feature, which allows you to set specific languages and currencies to different domains. An example of this would be setting English and USD as the default options for yourstore.com, English/ French and CAD as the default for yourstore.ca, and Spanish and EUR for yoursite.es.

I would probably recommend starting out on the Basic plan if your focus is to first sell to the US and Canada, and then you could consider upgrading to the Shopify plan if you wish to expand into Europe and make use of the international domains feature. However, as mentioned, there is no right or wrong thing to do here, and it comes down to your personal preference.

Kind regards,

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

Thank you Victor, I appreciate the detailed answer.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @JulieGalaise,

No problem at all, I'm glad it helped. Please reach out again if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi Victor, so it looks like the multi pricing app options aren’t going to work with Shopify Fulfilment Services because those apps manage inventory and set variants to allow setting different prices for different countries.

I’m now down to that International Domains option, which apparently is only available on the $300USD Shopify plan.

Just reaching out one more time to make sure there’s not a better/cheaper solution out there, especially that more and more brands are selling internationally now.

So to reiterate, I’m looking to set fixed prices in different currencies for different markets, example:

$39CAD for Canadian shoppers

39EURO for EU & UK shoppers

$39USD for the rest the world

Thank you.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @JulieGalaise,

Yes, the ability to set different product prices for different countries and regions is limited to those on the Advanced plan, as per our page on international pricing. You can set price adjustments if you're on the Shopify plan ($79 USD p/m), which allows you to increase or decrease the prices of products based on the country or region via percentage mark-ups/ mark-downs.

Outside of this option, my recommendation would be to consider opening more than one Shopify store if you're looking to target numerous markets. This would allow you set prices on a region-by-region basis, use different gateways for each store (if you wish), and generally have more control and flexibility when it comes to setting region-specific settings and details on your store.

You can also get a discount if you have multiple stores, although this would limit you in terms of regional differences. You should be fine having different prices, currencies and languages for different stores, but other aspects such as the branding, products, store name, account owner etc must be the same. If you were on the Shopify plan on your first store, for example, the multi store discount would allow you to get the same features of the Shopify plan on your second store for the price of the Basic plan ($29 USD p/m).

I hope this helps explain your questions but please let me know if you have more.

Kind regards,

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello, To give an update on what I found to make this work for me, in hopes that it will help others in this context to be more and more in demand and that Shopify will make this a standard functionality to match their customers’ reality.  They made it easy with the $300 monthly plan but here’s how I found to do it.

oh and those $29/monthly apps offering Multi Pricing Country aren’t compatible to us using a third party fulfilment center - I use Shopify Fulfilment and there is a clash with inventory management so I had to be creative.

I followed one of Victor’s suggestions to set price adjustments if you're on the Shopify plan ($79 USD p/m), which allows you to increase or decrease the prices of products based on the country or region via percentage mark-ups/ mark-downs.

Then I installed the Auto-Currency Switcher App from MLVeda.com (which offers absolute great support) for $9.99/month - this app automatically sets currency to match shoppers’ IP address so no Currency Selector is needed (which for me was important for the purpose of setting manual prices fir different markets which don’t necessarily  follow the market currency rate - to help cover shipping fees or for any other marketable feasible reasons).

BTW - the Shopify GEOlocation app doesn’t automatically select the currency - I mention this because it took several conversations with different Shopify Support Agents to figure this out. I’m not blaming here, I’m saying this context seems to be new to Shopify and again, I hope this can / will become a base (meaning simple) functionality for this obvious market reality.

Best of luck and continuity to all.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @JulieGalaise,

Thank you for providing all of your feedback here and for outlining what worked for you. I'm sure this summary will be a big help to other merchants looking for a similar solution who may read it, and I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you have found a way to get things working for you. If you do have any further questions please feel free to reach out again and let me know.

Kind regards,

makasanas
Shopify Partner
22 0 3

You can Check Out for App Called pricing by country, you can set higher or lower product prices for different countries. and you can also sell a single product at multiple prices in multiple countries. To cover the free shipping to international customers you can add a shipping rate to the product price. Here is some feature
we can set price for different country with increasing percentage or amount.
you can set up local currency checkout
in build currency converter with lots feature
app is very fast
app work without any code in change in theme. 

Here is link pricing by country & currency

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3
Thank you for your reply and adding the link - I’m interested and will download soon. I do have 2 questions:

This was copied from your app:
Increase or decrease the price by country
Q. 1 - So I’m able to set a fixed price by country without dealing with currency rate fluctuations?

Q.2 - Is it possible to have a CAD price for Canadian Shoppers, a EURO price for EU & USD price for all the remaining countries?

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

JulieGalaise
Tourist
10 0 3

I just thought of a third question:

it is mentioned in your app description that you manage inventory. Is it possible to turn that function off as my orders will be fulfilled by Shopify Fulfilment Services thus my inventory can only be managed by them.