Need a drop shipping app recommendation

Excursionist
18 0 12

I have an established store where I sell items and fulfill orders myself.

I have a couple of companies that want to sell through my shopify store, but they would fulfill the orders.

I am trying to find an app to help me best manage this. Most of the apps I am finding are for drop shipping suppliers.

Let me know if you have any apps you would like to recommend! Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 26 31

Hey there, @BradSCJB!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! While there aren't currently any apps that can transform your Shopify store to an 'eBay' or 'Amazon'- like experience, there are a couple of alternative solutions you might be interested in.

If there's only a couple of additional suppliers that you're interested in partnering with, you can create staff accounts for them. By default, they'll have access to your entire store (aside from sensitive account and financial information - like your Billing), but you can also opt to limit their permissions. You can review the different types of staff permissions here. Because you're wanting them to fulfill orders, you'd need to at least provide them with permissions to your Orders. This means that they'll be able to create, view, update, and delete any orders and order notifications. If you feel comfortable with giving them access to all of your orders, then this is an option that you can take. Keep in mind that there are a limited number of staff accounts depending on which plan you're on:

Now if this option doesn't work, you can look at using an external program to assist you with managing orders and calculating commissions. One that I've heard merchants use in the past is Transparent Kitty; however, I haven't had any experience with it myself. Because it's not affiliated to Shopify we're unable to offer any support, but it may be an option worth looking into for your business.

The final suggestion I can advise will only work if you or your team has app development experience. If so, you can look at either developing a private app or joining the Shopify Partner Program and developing your own public dropshipping app. 

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 12

I am sorry, maybe I wasnt explaining my solution the best...

I have 2-3 vendors. I would be managing all of the product management on shopify.

In my online store, if someone purchases 2-3 items from vendor A (myself) and 2-3 items from vendor B (my drop shipper) ....I was wondering if there was an app that could help me manage orders to which ones I need to fulfill and which ones I need to send over to my drop shipper. My drop shipper has an online store front (non-shopify) and at this time I would be just purchasing the items manually through their website via my wholesale account using my customers shipping information. If the sales scale up, I would then seek a more automated solution with my drop shipping vendor at a later date.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 26 31

I see! Thanks so much for clarifying that for me, @BradSCJB. Would fulfilling your own products and having automatic order notifications sent over to the third party supplier work for your business operations? 

If so, you can activate a custom-fulfillment service in the Accounts and integrations  section of your Shipping Settings by clicking on Manage integrations:

24-31-d8i0t-jdkuu

On this page, you'll want to click the Add fulfillment service button:

24-32-2o7vj-h54m8

This will load a pop-up where you'll be able to name the fulfillment service and add an email address.

24-32-s8w18-n2npl
Once that's setup, you can set specific products to be fulfilled by the individual custom fulfillment services. We have a guide for that here. After marking a product or order as fulfilled, an email will be sent to the custom-fulfillment service with details of the order. Because you have a mixture of your products as well as others, I recommend ensuring that you have manual fulfillment setup if you take this approach. You can learn more about this in our Setting up fulfillment guide.

If this option doesn't work for you, your only other options is to develop a private app (if you or a member of your team is a developer), or look into Hiring an Expert API Developer

I hope this information offers a solution to your business needs. Let me know what you think!

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 12

This helps a lot.....this will be good enough for me to get started.....but I have a few questions.

Question 1

Does shopify send an email to the customer when I change the order status to fulfilled when there is a custom order fulfillment used? Is there a way to do this without sending an email to the customer until I get tracking information back from the 3rd party that is fulfilling the order?

Question 2

Obviously I need to set up the 3rd party fulfillment as an additional location so I can properly calculate shipping from this company (which resides in a different state). When I do this, in the inventory section of the product configuration, do I need to select 'track quantity' in order to state its going to be shipped from the 3rd party to properly calculate shipping? I am not going to be tracking inventory so if I must select this, I would just put in a huge number in the 'available' for that 3rd party location, correct? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Question 3

Since my business resides in NV, I don't charge tax for any out of state transactions. If I add this 3rd party location that resides in CA, will shopify now be calculating tax charges for all orders placed in CA, including my own self fulfillment items that ship from NV? or just orders placed that would be shipping from this 3rd party fulfillment? I am not even sure what my tax obligations are in this scenario. Maybe that is a whole different discussion.

0 Likes