Need small/free app to support product rentals

Highlighted
Excursionist
95 0 7

Hi everyone.  My shop sells pet supplies online only (average item price is around $30) except there are several annual in person pet events that I sell at using the Shopify POS.  For the last two years at one of the events, I've had people come to buy dog muzzles from me and tell me straight out that the only reason they're buying the muzzle is so their dog can play in the play area or be put in the dogsitting pen.  (Muzzles are required in those areas.)  I think it would be a lovely thing to be able to offer those customers a rented muzzle for a few hours, instead of them having to buy them.  I may actually get more revenue from renting muzzles, also!

I've been searching here and in the app store and I don't see anything that would help me.  The app most recommended has a lot more features than I need and is more costly than I can afford for something I need one weekend out of the year.  So I need help with other ideas.  Here is what I want the app or solution to do:

Have a rental price, say $5 for 4 hours or $10 for a whole day.  That's what I charge the customer when handing them the rented muzzle.  If they return it, all is good.  If they do not return it or return it damaged, then I automatically (without swiping their card again) charge them the full price for the muzzle ($25.99 plus tax).  That's it!

I know I can just charge them full price to begin with and then refund all but $5 when they return it, but then I will have a lot of refunds on my books which I don't like. Or if this is the best/only way to implement this, can someone with accounting skill advise me how to record the refunds in my books in such a way that they don't look like refunds?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
34 0 5

Hi there,

My name is Evan, I’m a Guru here with Shopify.

The best way to set up a Rental system is to look at an app called Book that App, however, I don't know if it will work with our POS. It integrates into the account, but the POS app itself may be different. They're a third party app, so it may be worth reaching out to them directly. They can be reached at support@zetya.com. They'll be able to give you a run down of the best way to integrate their system, and if it can be used in conjunction with the Shopify POS.

You mentioned you wanted to charge the customer the full price if it wasn't returned. That's an excellent plan, however it would require preauthorizing a card. You can only charge a card with Permission. So to charge them that final price is something they would have to agree to, by allowing their card to be preauthorized. Similar to when you rent a car, or use a hotel. The company preauthorizes your card for the full price and damage deposit, then subtracts it at the end of the stay.

So while it would require doing a lot of refunds, if you don't want to use an app, that would actually be the best option! I have a great guide on partial refunds here. It would essentially be a preauthorization.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'll be more than happy to help!

Evan | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Excursionist
95 0 7

Thanks, Evan.  Book that app is more than I need, but after thinking about the partial refund idea I think that would work. 

0 Likes