No Sync between Shopify and MailChimp. PLEASE HELP!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi eveyone, 

This has been driving me nuts for a week now. I have MailChimp for Shopify, the app is installed and seems to be connected correctly. I have even disconnected and reinstalled a number of times. I have played around with code, tried many different variations of customer account signup forms with no use. 

My problem is that when someone creates a 'customer account' on my Shopify website they do not get synced into my MailChimp list. They are added to my Shopify customer tab, no problem, but that does not help my email marketing campaigns and basically makes having MailChimp for Shopify useless. I do have an embedded MailChimp newsletter sign up form on my website, which works as it should. I also have installed a MailChimp pop-up form, which also works as intended.  

I have read in some forums that MailChimp will only import 'customers' who have made a purchase. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, again what would be the point of having MailChimp for Shopify if I cannot send emails to potential customers who might not have bought anything, or who did not sign up for the newsletter but have created a customer account. I was also told it has to do with 'accepts email marketing'. Which I then added a checkbox in the customer account registration to accept email marketing. Again, this did nothing to help sync my Shopify customers to my MailChimp list.

When emailing Shopify for support I was told that the two should sync my customers after they create an account and accept marketing. But this has not been true so far. I feel like I must be missing something here but can not find the answers anywhere. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to try anything at this point. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi, Jack!

Lisa here from the Shopify Social Care Team.

If someone makes a customer account via your Shopify site, you will need to get consent for promotional emails during customer registration, here's how to add this option. This will then update their profile to "accepts marketing" and therefore allow Mailchimp to pull through their addresses into your email lists. 

When a customer gives permission to receive emails when signing up, you will see their accounts appear as this:

If the customer has not opted in their profile will look like this: 

Due to email rights, and MailChimp's Terms of Service you will not be able to send promotional emails if they do not opt-in. Here's some additional information about compliance when it comes to growing your compliant lists.

After you have permission from the customer accounts, any opted-in customers that land in the Shopify customers tab, can then be automatically synced to your MailChimp list. However, you still need to set up the Auto Sync.

What may be missing if you haven't done it yet, is to create a Segment in MailChimp, for example, 'Shopify Customer Accounts'. Then set this segment to Auto-update.  The opted-in emails will then be pulled through to your segment in Mailchimp if they meet the criteria you set for the auto update. Here is a step by step guide to ensure you have the auto syncing set up within your MailChimp account to pull from your Shopify customers tab.

I hope this helps you get your new customer account sign-ups to sync to Mailchimp. If you have any questions on the above, please do reply and let me know!

- Lisa

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Lisa- thank you for this detailed information.  Very helpful to work through.  

I have a similar problem though.  I have a pop up form from mailchimp which allows customers to sign up for a newsletter.  Over the past few days I have had over 50 people complete the pop up.  They show up in my shopify store as "accepts marketing".  However, only 13 of these people have synced to mailchimp.  Do you have any idea why only certain people would be transferred over?  I offer a coupon that should send from mailchimp when they are synced and I have no idea if these unsynced people have received the coupon or not?  This is a huge opportunity loss if these sign-ups are not being captured.  

Any help is appreciated.

Angi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Same issue. Great opportunity loss. Would like to see a solution. Used to work fine.

Update: from looking at recent reviews, it seems that more people are experiencing this issue: https://apps.shopify.com/mailchimp

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Lisa:
There is not information on how to set the Mailchimp for Shopify segment to an 'auto-syncing' segment. Can you please advise? We are still experiencing issues with customers not being added to our Mailchimp list through the app...

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

I'm also facing this same issue with my store. Guess it's something between their APIs' as the problem seems to be affecting many people around.

Besides not pulling up new signees, my flows aren't sent from the second email on. If I uninstall and reinstall the app back, then I get it updated with everyone from my Shopify list in.

I'm likely to move on and find another app cause I can't pay for MC yet.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Same here.  Cannot find any place to tell mailchimp to sync on either platform

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Same issue here. The app didn't sync the contacts from January 2019! Did anyone found the solution for this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
I contacted mailchimp and they were quite helpful. The people I knew should be there were synced but it was new people. My understanding is that if someone “spams” or joins a bunch of email lists at the same time, it can bring up a flag which will not allow that address to sync.
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I would believe that's the case for some of the users. In our case, we had around 200 users that joined our mailing list, where I've noticed for 15 that MailChimp didn't allow adding them manually to the list because they have tried to signup to many times. But for others, I could add them normally. The sync works fine if someone bought on Shopify- the problem is only for those who had added them self on the website.

0 Likes