Non Product Based Variant App or Workaround solution

Highlighted
2 0 1

So, I have hit a roadblock with Shopify while Importanting my products. Thus far I have imported 30000 Parent products, in which I still need to important variants for each one of those products, those variants being "Ring Size", "Gold Color", "Gold Purity", giving Me approx 30-40 variants pre Parent Product. Which would come out to approx 1 million API calls to add all those variants. The problem with Shopify is they have an initial 50000 limit on products and then 1000 thereafter per day, meaning it would take months before we could even add all the variations required. 

So far I have only seen one option, and it is to upgrade to Shopify plus, but that's out of reach right now as we're just in the development stage of our website, we manufacture (make to order) our products and have also been selling on marketplaces for many years, so we have plenty of market data, but I do not want to pay $2000 a month just so I Can have more API calls to add variants, as this would be unlogical going forward.

The only other solution or workaround I could think of would be to have an independent app that will add variants, but not on the product level, but rather just globally to whatever collections, tags you assign it to, this way not having o use the API to add them, but when the customer, for example, picks there size or gold color it will add it as a note to their order. For us, there is no change in price for our variants that we add, so being it at the product level is not necessary since those variants will not affect the overall price. 

I have not yet come across an app for this, but if there is one I would be happy to have someone's recommendations on this as I need to find a solution to get around this API limitation. 

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
55 10 21

Hi @JewelryMfg!

If you do not require inventory tracking on each of the variants/options, and you do not need to have these choices change the price of the product, then you can accomplish your goal using Shopify's line item properties. Line item properties are product-specific details that will be shown on each order. I am suggesting to use line item properties instead of variants since they are less restrictive, and in your case they do not rely on Shopify's Admin API for implementation. There are some apps out there that support line item properties in an automated fashion (like Infinite Options), or you can add some custom code to your store's theme.

In your case you can use Shopify's theme code editor to create some custom Liquid product templates that have line item properties for "Ring Size", "Gold Color", "Gold Purity", etc. You can then use the Shopify admin to select which products use each custom Liquid template. Another option is to add custom Liquid code to your theme's native product template in order to show specific line item properties dynamically based on product tag(s). The latter might be a better option for your store since you mentioned there are ~30k parent products.

Here's a very useful tool that will create the proper markup for line item properties so you don't have to code each of them from scratch: https://ui-elements-generator.myshopify.com/pages/line-item-property

Hopefully this helps!

Kyle W | Customer Success @ Helium Dev, LLC
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds user friendly apps with top-rated US-based support
Customer Fields App
Meteor Mega Menus App
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Thank you for the information, I will look into this, thus far I have spoken with Merchant support and they will likely help me get past this issue that I'm facing, but if things should not workout I will look into more detail the information you provided as it might be useful in the future not only to use but other users that face the same dilemma.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
55 10 21

You're most welcome, @JewelryMfg! It's certainly a good option to keep in mind regardless of what happens, and I agree that it might help others in similar situations.

I wish you the best of luck!

Kyle W | Customer Success @ Helium Dev, LLC
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds user friendly apps with top-rated US-based support
Customer Fields App
Meteor Mega Menus App
0 Likes