Order Printer, Multiple Packing Slips per page (4x)

stllv
Excursionist
46 0 4

Hi,

We are having a little hickup with Order Printer.

Our goal is to be able to output four shipping addresses per page (A4) as our label sheets have 4 labels per A4… Everything but this works pefectly fine!

html/css/liquid is nothing we are afraid of! If you have an idea, we'd apreciate it very much!

Thank you,

S

0 Likes

Hi Steffen,

I've tried this in the past, so we could sell Address Label templates along with our other Order Printer Templates.. but never managed to create anything that was usable.

I cannot seem to find the code I was working on in the past, but here's a few things you need to keep in mind when trying to build these:

1. Order Printer only gives you access to one order at a time, so you'll need to work with and around the default styling Shopify add to each order. 

2. Order Printer will put a page break after each order, so to stop it doing that and only create a page break after each 4th order, you need to override the default page break code built into Order Printer.

3. You'll need to size each label so it's EXACTLY half wide, and half high on the paper, and float each section/label to the left, so they automatically stack next to each other and flow onto new rows.

4. You will never see the layout you want on screen (as Shopify wrap each order in it's own row on screen), but when you press print your custom layout should kick in.

5. Some browsers will put a certain amount of margin at the top of printed pages, but the amount will be different on the 1st page and then any additional pages. So the 1st page might get 20mm of top margin in Firefox but then the 2nd page only gets 10mm. This makes point 3 above much more difficult.

5. Unless you always print labels in multiples of 4, you'll end up with a lot of half used label sheets. For example if you print 2 labels on a sheet, there is no way to tell it to start at label position 3 when doing you next batch.

As you can see from the above it's unfortunately not as easy as one could hope.. or maybe I'm just going about this all wrong. 

It's certainly not impossible.. but I did give up when I could see that it was not something I would be happy selling for others to use.

My other app OrderlyPrint does handle this much better using a special PDF engine for address labels, in case that would be useful to you.. we support many 4 label per sheet sizes, and can continue on partially printed sheets as well.

Good luck, and I would love to see what you come up with if you go that way.

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
stllv
Excursionist
46 0 4

Thank you so much for the reply!

2)  "You need to override the default page break code built into Order Printer." How would one do something like that? App development and api access?

Our final SOLUTION:

As float:left; does not work as expected we used our printers options to print four pages on a single sheet. Thus we made our html/css simply generate full size templates and we "shrink" those by our printers printing options. Et voila : )

0 Likes

Hey,

No problems at all, hope it helped a little :) That's a great solution you came up with using the printer settings to get it 4 per page, if that works then use it!

Regarding your questions: 

2)  "You need to override the default page break code built into Order Printer." How would one do something like that? App development and api access?

You would do this just in CSS of your template. Shopify Order Printer wraps your code with some of their own, and it contains some CSS for controlling where page breaks should occur, with something like:

.printer-inline-preview {
  page-break-before: avoid;
  page-break-inside: avoid;
  page-break-after: always !important;
}

That tries to get printers to behave nicely for creating new pages. So if you want it not to do the above, you need to add in overrulling CSS that does not allow page breaking after for example.

Anyway, glad you found a working solution, even if it does not solve the issue of partially printed sheets.

Best of luck with your store!

Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
Carmico
1 0 0

Hey there!

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the syntax or process has updated since the original post. Using wrappers doesn't seem to work anymore.

I want multiple orders per page so that we don't have a ton of white space between orders when we change the setting in our printing options to print multiple pages per sheet. I have adjusted our template so that we only print the item styles and quantities for our packing process. We really don't need a lot of info per order so each order taking up an entire page is wasteful.

Blue boxes indicate space that could be filled by additional ordersBlue boxes indicate space that could be filled by additional orders

Thank you!

0 Likes