Ordering personalised (engraved) items

5 0 0

Hi, Im starting my first Dropshipping business and one of my products are dog collars with personalised name and telephone number. Im wondering how to get the desired text to the supplier correctly even if the client wants different texts to different items.

So first the client writes the desired text to the orders (the whole order) comment slot from where I will copy the text. Then I'll paste the text to the notes of the product´s order for the supplier. This is simple but if the client doesn't tell specifically which item has which text the order can be done badly and in the end, the client will receive products with text erroneous.

So, is there an app which what the products page already has a slot for the desired text, so that each and every product has separately its personalised text? 

And if (and when) I start using an app which sends the orders to the supplier automatically, does this app that you are suggesting me, send also the desired text directly to the supplier? 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
97 4 32

So, to be perfectly clear, you need a three step process:

1. A customer orders dog collar X on your store, and in their order comments adds the name and the telephone number.
2. You manually grab that information (i.e. the type, color and other properties of dog collar X + the telephone number + the personalized name).

3. You send that information to the supplier.

What you're essentially saying is that you'd like step 1 to be split out into relevant fields, i.e. custom fields in the order page for phone number and name, as well as (potentially) some input validation to ensure the provided telephone number is valid.

In addition, you'd like step 2 + 3 to be combined into a single automatic step, where you define some email address of the supplier somewhere, and the app automatically sends that information to the customer?

I'm 99% sure the second part can be taken care of by a dropshipping automation app like https://apps.shopify.com/duoplane. The first part needs to be done with cart attributes, which are just custom fields for each customer. You can either do them manually with https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/cart/get-more-information-with-cart-attributes or use an app like https://apps.shopify.com/customer-attribute.

The problem with cart attributes are that they are customer-specific, and not order-specific (at least from my vague recollection, haven't done any work with them for a while). Check these out, and if you're still having issues ping me and I'll take a closer look.

Building custom, public-facing Shopify Apps for various niches. Ping me with your app ideas!

My Apps:
* Countries We Ship To Button (Free!) - Show your customers where you ship to with a crisp button + pop-up!

My Tutorials:
* Get Notified When New Comments Are Added To Your Shopify Blog (Free!) - A quick & easy tutorial to set up a free web-service that e-mails you when you get a new comment on your Shopify blog!
0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi KidOnPoint and thank you. I actually find instructions for the product-specific slot for the engravings from the instructions you gave me.

So just in case, if someone else is trying to do the same here you have the link for doing it manually:

https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/products/features/get-customization-information-for...

I still haven't tried the Duoplane but it seems great! Thanks for that too.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 4 32

Of course, happy I could help. Ping me if you need anything else, and please approve my answer :)

Building custom, public-facing Shopify Apps for various niches. Ping me with your app ideas!

My Apps:
* Countries We Ship To Button (Free!) - Show your customers where you ship to with a crisp button + pop-up!

My Tutorials:
* Get Notified When New Comments Are Added To Your Shopify Blog (Free!) - A quick & easy tutorial to set up a free web-service that e-mails you when you get a new comment on your Shopify blog!
0 Likes