Pinterest Conversion Tag -- Where do you enable it?

Highlighted
3 0 0

Does anyone have an idea where the Pinterest Conversion Tag is?  OR a better question is, is this even implemented.  There is nothing to opt in on the Pinterest channel app page in your SHopify admin as it does not exist.  

This is straight off of their website - https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/website-conversion-tracking

I’m a Shopify merchant with Buyable Pins and I want a conversion tag. I’m not an advertiser.

If you want the ability to track sales from people who clicked through a Buyable Pin and purchased on your site in the future, just opt in to use the Pinterest Tag in your Pinterest channel settings on Shopify. Shopify will then place this tag on your checkout confirmation page. We won’t be able to provide metrics on off-Pinterest sales through Buyable Pins just yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 104

So today I just found an opt-in via the Pinterest sales channel settings page.

It doesn't appear the pixel is fully implemented as it doesn't appear to do:

pintrk(‘track’, ‘pagevisit’);
pintrk(‘track’, ‘addtocart’);
pintrk(‘track’, ‘search’);
pintrk(‘track’, ‘viewcategory’);

These may come with time.

The thing I'm interested in doing, is implementing the tag myself, but I'm currently unaware of what Shopify is using for "Product Ids".

If you take a look at the pinterest .oembed on the product pages, it appears there's an offer_id provided for each lineitem which is what I assume Shopify is using, but I'll need to confirm this with a little more work & debugging.

If you're interested in fleshed out docs from pinterest, they've released this PDF.

https://help.pinterest.com/sites/help/files/pinteresttaginstructions_2.pdf

Gotta love social networks which release their API specs in PDF. The future is now!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 2

Following

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 104

I setup the Shopify conversion pixel today and ran a test order through to see if it did anything.

I couldn't find any requests it sends over to pinterest, so I'm unclear if it's actually doing anything.

I have a feeling it's not, because if it was, Shopify would have asked for a "tag id" to add in the JS snippet ala sample code:

pintrk('load','129384737324734');
pintrk('page', { page_name: 'My Page', page_category: 'My Page Category' });

Unless they are sending it via some channel deal they've setup with pinterest and are sending it server side, which is possible.

So I have a support ticket asking these questions, and if there's a response I'll let you guys know. But until then, if you've had pinterest sales tracking you've implemented yourself (as I have) I'd continue to use that until this is properly explained.

0 Likes
Trailblazer
209 1 104

This is Reg your Shopify Guru hope you are well!

So every so often a question comes in that stumps everyone and this one is one of those questions. I have spoken to two different people in technical support (including the head of Tier 2 in Ireland) and neither can give a definitive answer. 
We don't support the integration you are talking about so we are short of information on it.

I have looked in forums and in previous tickets and this is not something that has been covered anywhere.

Sorry to leave you without an answer but this one is beyond our support.

So shopify has no idea.

I'm attempting to press harder to figure out what product id shopify sends to Pinterest so that I can implement this myself, but still no answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
209 1 104

Shopify has confirmed that Pinterest product _id us variant ID from Shopify's end.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
87 29 23

So the Shopify Pinterest Tag doesn't do 2 things - there're no events for addtocart and checkout so you don't know the exact conversion data. Second, it doesn't let you retarget since line_items are invalid for making audiences (contratrary to what Pinterest docs say).

I've made an app to fix this. It tracks page views, addtocart, checkout and search. The addtocart and checkout includes data down to the exact details of each product. Each product's variant ID is set in a custom attribute called product_ids instead of Pinterest's broken product_id.

Give it a try here - https://apps.shopify.com/pinoculars

Is your store fast enough? Compare your store's speed against hundreds of others for free with our benchmarker - https://www.rvere.com/
0 Likes