Populating Fields for the Google Shopping App

Highlighted
Excursionist
42 0 11

@JonWright 

Thanks Jon, I very much am in the dark and so appreciate your insight. 

1 - The Shopify Google Shopping App does not send MPN or SKU to Merchant Centre/Google Shopping by default

Is it possible to view the raw feed that Shopify is sending? I see Content API in my Google Merchant Center but not sure how I can view what is in it. I did find .../collections/all.atom which seems to include vendor and sku. So I was thinking of creating a feed rule in Merchant Center of attribute: mpn set to: Content API.sku to see if it can tell Google that sku is mpn

2 - To clear the "Limited performance due to missing identifiers [gtin, mpn, brand]" warning you are seeing in Merchant Centre your best bet is to use valid barcodes/GTIN's by putting these in the barcode field in Shopify

For 95% of our products (we sell cotton fabric by the yard) we do not have a GTIN barcode, but we do have a mpn and brand...for instance one product has an mpn of 6218D. So I assumed I should set custom product to false and then input my mpn numbers in the Google Shopping field mpn.

3 - If your products do not have barcodes, then yes you can send MPNs but to add these in bulk you need to add them to the relevant metafield in the Google Shopping app (if CSV isn't working for you, then try an app called Excelify)

I would consider my self an excel guru, have done some insane excel formulas to migrate our shop from another ecom platform...the issue is Shopify ignores all of the google shopping columns when using csv imports. That feature worked until they updated their Google Shopping app, now those fields are worthless and there no way to update in bulk anymore. The closest they have is the GUI bulk editor but I have no way to pull sku and paste it into mpn without copy/paste 3000+ times. I suspect I may need to learn how to do this via API which is why I found this thread, but I do not know how to even start to access the API.

4 - The Google Structured Data Testing Tool is not related to your shopping feed, it is to do with the structured data/schema you have on your site which is there for search engines to understand context when crawling your site for SEO purposes.

Thanks, I has suspected this, and it makes complete sense now that I think about it. One is for the spiders to view and the feed is completely different. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
699 102 248

Q - Is it possible to view the raw feed that Shopify is sending?

A - Kind of. In Merchant Centre got to "products" > "all products" and then click on a specific product. Scroll down and you'll see a heading called "Raw feed attributes:Shopify" expand that and you'll see what is been sent over by the API

- Ignore the Atom feed, that is something else unrelated.

Q - So I assumed I should set custom product to false and then input my mpn numbers in the Google Shopping field mpn.

A - Yes that is correct

Q- I have no way to pull sku and paste it into mpn without copy/paste 3000+ times

A - Wasn't aware the default Import functionality had issues here now but try Excelify as I'm pretty sure that will work and it's free to try it on 10 products to check before you pay for it. A lot quicker then messing around with the API

Q - One is for the spiders to view and the feed is completely different

A - Yep, exactly. Only minor caveat, without wanting to confuse matters, is that Google does also scan your website to check that the data you are sending them in the feed is the same as the data on your site (e.g. price is the same, to stop people trying to game Shopping) and I assume it uses Structured data for this if you have it. But other than that, irrelevant.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
42 0 11

Just completed another round of testing...I can confirm that the csv product import option ignores every column that starts with Google. I did a few imports to attempt to update these items and every one was ignored. So not able to update mpn in bulk

Google Shopping / Google Product CategoryGoogle Shopping / GenderGoogle Shopping / Age GroupGoogle Shopping / MPNGoogle Shopping / ConditionGoogle Shopping / Custom Product

I found the raw feed data like you said in merchant center and setting mpn field does fix the issue I am having. Google accepts these products fine. 

So the last issue to solve is how best to set the mpn field in bulk? Are you sure the Content API feed from shopify does not include sku? So that I cannot just do a feed mapping rule for sku to mpn?

Excelify I think would work because they are using API to make the edits to mpn and can do the mappings, but trying to avoid a monthly cost for a one time fix. We can add the mpn as we list manually so I just need to add mpn to about 4000 products. 

What about a secondary feed in google merchant center? To pull that off I would need the unique product id and sku exported, I could then change the column from sku to mpn and upload as a secondary feed, but the product export does not export product id. So frustrating this.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
699 102 248

- Definitely no sku sent but you can prove it to yourself. Add a couple in Shopify, wait a few hours and then go look for them in the raw feed data in Merchant Centre. They won't be there :)

- Not pushing Excelify as I have nothing to do with them other than as a user but you don't need to keep paying for it. Use it for the one off job and then end your subscription. So basically it will cost you $20 to fix your issue. Sounds like a better bet to me than messing around with secondary feeds etc. Also, it does export the Product ID, if you did want to go down the secondary feed route.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
699 102 248

One other thing. I take it you trying to add MPNs at a Product level rather than at a Variant level? (because I'm pretty sure the metafields in the Google Shopping App are only at a Product level, so just thought I'd check)

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
My problem is also not being able to set up a secondary feed because the IDs from the content API don't match to anything on the Excel product sheet.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
699 102 248

@dlrhymes as mentioned, you can get the IDs and match them to Merchant Centre by using Excelify. I've just checked and they are in the extract.

Other option is to use a more comprehensive feed tool than the Shopify one e.g. FeedArmy, DataFeedWatch etc

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
42 0 11

Thanks again for the guidance, looks like a tool is the way to go. Shopify support said I should checkout “Feed For Google Shopping” but exelify looks perfect for what I need so will start there and see how it goes. I do like that I would be repairing the actual product as opposed to building a custom feed which would require on going costs.

Also you were correct, I am only interested in mpn at product level, as my variants all share that same mpn.

thanks again for the help, stay safe.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 1

Hi, We have developed an app to make your task easier. It is the Google Shopping Feed app by AdNabu. We have added the product metafiels feature which allows you to map any metafield from your Shopify to any attribute on the merchant center. Please let me know your feedback regarding this.

AdNabu helps E-commerce business power up their Google Ad Campaigns to increase their sales and reduce their cost per sale.
0 Likes