Pricing based on customer geolocation?

5 0 0

I'm a developer and for my first APP for Shopify, I decided to build a Shopify Embedded App that Merchants can choose products that gives discounts based on Customers geolocation. I've seen custom made eCommerce stores offer discounts based on the lower purchasing power of some countries and thought this is a neat feature to could potentially make it possible for more people to buy a product based on their relative purchasing power. Of course it works better for information products like courses that have high margin. Would any Merchants want to use an APP like this if it was made?

Or suggest a better idea as an alternative?

Cheers.

0 Likes

Just be aware that this topic is a very sensitive one. With geo-blocking forbade in EU, the pricing based on location can't have a better future.

Also, remember the Orbitz mistake. They noticed that Mac users were open to spending up to 30% more on bookings, so they've started to display different prices.

And yes, eventually their visitors found out, and they didn't like it.

Although, a discount could be interesting. A discount based on specific events in that country - Public holidays, local events, etc.

Empowering e-commerce entrepreneurs by providing them with affordable, optimized and easy to use tools | Vitals 40+ Shopify Apps in One
0 Likes
5 0 0

Yes, I am thinking in terms of mainly a discount feature. The geo-targeted price will never be higher than the original price of the product.

I've seen this feature on digital products in the past such as courses. Eg. If a course sold for 100$, for countries like Thailand where the the average monthly salary is 750$, That person would never be able to justify paying 100$ for the product which is 14% of the persons' monthly income. On the other hand, the seller loses a chance to make the sell on a essentially infinite margin product.

0 Likes
5 0 0

Oh that's really neat. Thanks!

0 Likes
2 0 0
Yes please for USA States
0 Likes