Product Subscription apps that supports Shopify Payments?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Afternoon!

I'm looking to incorporate subscription functionality to my products and have found quite a few apps that offer this, but have a question around the payment gateways.

We have a requirement to use the Shopify Payments for general purchases (i.e. 1 time purchase) and want to do the same for the subscription based payments, but I'm having trouble finding an app that does this.

We would like to avoid having to use 2 different payment gateways depending on if you are doing a 1 time purchase or a subscription. This isn't an ideal user experience and are looking for a solution.

If anyone could offer some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 51

Hi, @CharlieTO

Morgan here from the Social Team at Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out over the forums! Currently our in house payment gateway Shopify Payments doesn't support recurring payments/apps, so there won't be any apps that work with Shopify Payments directly.

However, there is some good news! If you do add an app such as Recharge (or most of the other app options) your customers will still complete their order through the standard checkout like any other order with or without Shopify Payments. The difference is just on the backend, the gateway details and funds for your recurring orders will be held within the app and your external gateway separate from your Shopify Payments payouts.

There isn't necessarily a way around this, but I just wanted to make sure you know customers won't know what gateway the checkout they are on is powered by. Most of the subscription apps you can choose from will allow for the use of Stripe which is the host of Shopify Payments, if you want something that is similar to our gateway and it's service.

What type of subscription service/box are you running? I'd be happy to offer some insight on your shop if you would like! Feel free to share your shop and I'd love to offer feedback!

Cheers,

Morgan | Shopify Social Team

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Hi Morgan,

I appreciate the insights and this is definitely helpful. It sounds like the workflow won't be painful from a user experience perspective.

I do have a couple follow up questions for you:

1. Since Shopify Payments runs on Stripe, if we were to also use Stripe with the subscription app we choose, could we use the same stripe account to ensure all payments are captured and processed through the same account? or is the Stripe aspect hidden on the Shopify Payments side?

2. Given the following scenario I have a couple questions - If a user were to make a regular one time purchase as well as a subscription to another product: 

• Is this possible?
  • Would the checkout process function / look any different from a regular checkout?
  • Would the person see 2 seperate charges from 2 different vendors on their payment method?

I would also be happy to share the site with you, but it is for a client and I am not able to post in a public forum. Am I able to contact you by email or phone so that I'm able to fill you in on the details / share with you?

Thanks again Morgan and look forward to hearing back.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 51

Hi, again @CharlieTO .

Sorry for the late response here, however, I do have some insight on this for you! I'll number off my answers as well, so I don't miss anything. 

1. Since Shopify Payments runs on Stripe, if we were to also use Stripe with the subscription app we choose, could we use the same stripe account to ensure all payments are captured and processed through the same account? or is the Stripe aspect hidden on the Shopify Payments side?

A: Unfortunately, no. Because Shopify Payments is technically it's own entity the accounts wouldn't align. The gateways use the same systems but are still very much separate.  You would need one Shopify Payments account for the stores checkout gateway, and then a separate Stripe account (or whichever third party gateway chosen) for the recurring payments app.

2. Given the following scenario I have a couple questions - If a user were to make a regular one time purchase as well as a subscription to another product: 

• Is this possible?
  • Would the checkout process function / look any different from a regular checkout?
  • Would the person see 2 separate charges from 2 different vendors on their payment method?

A: Yes! So as a general rule this is possible. The entire first purchase will all go through together on the checkouts gateway. Then, the recurring charges are transacted through the apps gateway. However, each app may be developed differently so when you decide on one it's best to double check with them to be sure. However, 9/10 that's how it will work.

The customer won't notice any differences from a standard online checkout process or that two gateways are working together simultaneously. It's also good to change the credit card statement name on both gateway accounts to be the exact same, so when the follow up recurring charges arrive they aren't confused. However, the follow up charges will likely have an added note stating that it's a recurring/preauthorized charge. This is the only difference the customer will see on their statement between the initial purchase and the follow up recurring orders. 

Lastly, I completely understand needing to keep the project details secure for your client. I have sent you an email to the address connected to your forums account. So if you still want me to have a look and offer feedback, feel free to reply with the shop URL there. I'd be happy to check it out! 

Sorry again for the delayed response. Chat soon. 

Cheers,
Morgan | Shopify Social Team 

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes