Can Shopify handle multiple product variants and options?

llwarson
Visitor
2 0 0

I have one product (microwave heating pad) that comes in 12 different fabrics and 4 sizes. So that is 48 different options BUT each of those 48 options can come with 1 of 4 different herbs. So that would mean 192 total options. I would like the customer to select fabric first, which will then show them a picture of all 4 sizes in that fabric. Then I want them to select size which will change the picture to that fabric in that size. Then I want them to pick herb, the picture will not change when they pick this. What app will do this? OR is there a way I can have the customer pick herb other than having it be a "variant". Thanks!

Reply 1 (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @llwarson!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

First off, I love your product idea! I actually have a microwaveable heating pad infused with lavender and I absolutely love it. 

When it comes to selling products with a multiple options, there are a few ways you can set this up. First, you could choose to create a new product for each fabric and add an image of that particular fabric as your main product image.

Then, each of those products could have variants for different sizes and different herbs that customers could choose from. However, with this setup, the variant images you use will need to either be of the herb or the size of the heat pad. While this would narrow down the number of options associated with a product, this might not solve your problem if you are wanting to add another image for each size.

In this case, you might want to consider an app. In fact, there are some apps specifically designed to offer customers a variety of product options to choose from and they'll allow you to use different images and swatches for each variant option. It sounds like this is exactly what you're looking for. 

Some popular apps designed to offer multiple product options include Infinite Product OptionsInfinite Options, and Bold Product Options. All of these apps have excellent reviews and you can see examples of what your product page could look like by viewing the screenshots available on each apps' About page. I encourage you to check them out and see which one suits your needs the best!

If you have any questions about any of these apps, you can find their FAQs directly under the Support section. There, you'll also find contact information for the app developers should you like to reach out directly. 

I hope this provides you with a couple options worth considering and I'm curious to see which route you choose to take! Feel free to respond here any let me know. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog