Received order flagged at highly suspicious

ebenezer
2 0 0

I have received my first order but it has been flagged as highly suspicious. The 3 points were raised on why it is suspicious:

1. Characteristics of this order are similar to fraudulent orders observed in the past

2. Billing street address doesn't match credit card's registered address

3. Billing address ZIP or postal code doesn't match credit card's registered address

The order amount is not big (about ($60), no phone number. I have emailed the provided address telling customer i want to confirm a few things and have not received a reply so far.

Has anyone come across a similar experience, could this be fraudulent?

0 Likes
Lulu
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 87 185

Hi, @ebenezer

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

I just wanted to touch base and explain a few things so you can make an informed decision about your high risk order. Shopify's risk analysis algorithms look at a combination of an order's characteristics, as well as customer history. The algorithms determine whether the order's characteristics match patterns identified from the millions of past legitimate or fraudulent orders seen across Shopify's platform. The decision is ultimately up to whether you fulfil the order or not. Do you feel comfortable fulfilling the order? I would give the customer a few days to reply to your contact but if there is no reply, I would take that as a red flag.

This fraud prevention guide has some excellent tips on dealing with fraudulent orders. I would recommend having a good read of it. I would also always recommend downloading the Fraud Filter app which provides an additional layer of security on your store. You can also block certain customers from placing orders if you wish with that app.

At the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable fulfilling the order then don't. High risk orders can result in chargebacks which can cost you money in the long run. (Read more about chargebacks here.)

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions, please let us know - we are always here to help!

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
ClearSale
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

Hi Ebenezer,

Faye here with ClearSale.

I wanted to chime in and echo Lulu’s response on how to handle this (and other high risk) orders.  

ClearSale is a fully outsourced fraud solution.  We realize that it is often nearly impossible to know whether an order is fraudulent or not, therefore we simplify things by making the decision on your behalf and giving you a simple "approved" or "declined" answer. In addition we provide you with peace of mind knowing that if a chargeback does occur, we cover it with our chargeback guarantee so you aren't out financially on a transaction.  We have been around since the early 2,000's and have a lot of global experience determining the validity of orders, as well as making sure we aren't turning away good customers.

Please do check out the link Lulu sent over, the team has incredibly useful documentation on how to analyze your orders.

Things you want to keep an eye out for would be (but not limited to) things like billing/shipping addresses, IP Address, shopping behavior, online presence and if all else fails and you’re still unsure - typically we’d suggest a quick call to the customer after verifying these things but in this case, that doesn't really apply.

Waiting to hear back from the email you sent out is a great idea - I hope you hear back and the order is a good one!

You’re always welcome to reach out to our team if you have any questions or are interested in having someone else take on the burden of managing fraud.  Not everyone has the time or resources to spend time analyzing orders!

We’re here to help :) Please, don't hesitate to reach out at shpy@clear.sale.

Faye
Director of Partnerships
clear.sale
0 Likes