Recurring subscription billing using shopify payments

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I'm thinking of creating an app that would allow for subscriptions to be created and automatically billed to the customer using Shopify Payments. Since Shopify doesn't store credit card information I would need to store the credit card info and then process the payment using Shopify payments when it is time for the subscription to renew. I am still roughing out the idea and how it would work, but I was wondering if anyone knows if something like this is allowed to be created? Specifically because I would be storing the credit card info then using the Shopify payments api and the stored info to charge the users credit card. I was reading the guidelines for creating apps but I am still not sure if this type of functionality is allowed.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
145 2 34

Hi @goleynik,

If you mean you are creating an app that uses recurring payments, you don't store any credit card information with Shopify billing for your apps.

You just need to specify the monthly amount and some other optional attributes. Shopify adds the amount to the customers invoice and then Shopify pay you.

Here is the implementation guide.

If you mean you want to create an alternative checkout on the storefront for recurring subscription payments, you can't use Shopify Billing.

Stripe has an API that is simple to use for recurring subscriptions. There are also limitations with what you can do at the checkout and you may need to get permission from Shopify before starting your app if you are using alternative payments.

I hope this helps? Good luck with your app.

Best regards,

Asa @ Appifiny

Try the best recent order app for Shopify free for 7 days: https://apps.shopify.com/recently
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I am trying to build a plugin that can somehow do recurring billing using the shopify payments gateway since this is not a feature. I'm not really sure if its even possible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
145 2 34

No it won't be possible using Shopify payments.

Best,

Asa

Try the best recent order app for Shopify free for 7 days: https://apps.shopify.com/recently
0 Likes