Repeat/recurring subscriptions and delivery dates

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi all,

We've set up a small, local veg box delivery service. Customers can choose a delivery date (Tuesdays or Thursday) and whether they want a one-off delivery or a weekly/fortnightly subscription.

We've got the app Delivery Date & Time Suite (https://apps.shopify.com/delivery-date-3), which puts the delivery date selector on the cart page, so that's all good. The Repeat order app is Recurring Order & Subscription (https://apps.shopify.com/recurring-invoices).

The problem is the repeat order app: it generates an email to the user on the anniversary of their first order; when the user clicks to pay, they're taken to the checkout page, so the user can't select the next delivery date. When the order comes to us, it doesn't tell us a delivery date, so we have to search back through the system for the original order, then try to find out the repeat frequency, then work forward through the calendar. At the moment we've got 200+ orders we have to go through every week, so this is unsustainable.

Can anyone suggest a possible workaround? I'm happy to look at alternative apps which could do this, but we're desperate to get this handled as soon as possible, and we're panicking a bit now that the app developer has come back and told us it's impossible.

Thanks very much in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
23 0 0

Hi, If you want to add a new custom field (Delivery date) in the checkout page you will need to have Shopify plus subscription, I have not tried that myself but in Shopify plus subscription the checkout asset files are open for modification and mostly it's possible to do that.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, 

I'm trying to understand your process. When someone "subscribes", they have to continue to provide payment info and checkout  at each subscription interval? Then they have to chose their delivery date? 

From a process and revenue perspective, it's better to have them provide their payment method once, then continue to bill automatically at a given interval. 

I've done this before for clients using ReCharge which uses Stripe under the hood (not sure if their rates good or bad for you). 

Then next step is to determine the delivery time at each interval. But I would ask: is this a necessary feature? How often to people change their delivery dates per interval or at all? Is it possible to have them chose their delivery time once, at the beginning of their subscription period and then continue to use that for future deliveries? If they need to change this maybe they can do so via an email or phone call. 

ScreenStaring
Software Development & Consulting
0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@MazenMustafa wrote:

Hi, If you want to add a new custom field (Delivery date) in the checkout page you will need to have Shopify plus subscription, I have not tried that myself but in Shopify plus subscription the checkout asset files are open for modification and mostly it's possible to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we are much too small for Shopify Plus - we're a small community food delivery service.

I appreciate the suggestion and your willingness to offer an answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@ScreenStaring wrote:

Hi, 

I'm trying to understand your process. When someone "subscribes", they have to continue to provide payment info and checkout  at each subscription interval? Then they have to chose their delivery date? 

From a process and revenue perspective, it's better to have them provide their payment method once, then continue to bill automatically at a given interval. 

I've done this before for clients using ReCharge which uses Stripe under the hood (not sure if their rates good or bad for you). 

Then next step is to determine the delivery time at each interval. But I would ask: is this a necessary feature? How often to people change their delivery dates per interval or at all? Is it possible to have them chose their delivery time once, at the beginning of their subscription period and then continue to use that for future deliveries? If they need to change this maybe they can do so via an email or phone call. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I've contacted the app developer to explain our problem and we'll see what they suggest.

In fact our customer do change the frequency of their subscriptions fairly often (about 20-25% of the time), but the core issue is how to track the second delivery date easily: at the moment our order processing is being overwhelmed.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Maybe you could add the delivery date to the staff order email? Those instruction seems to be  for customers, but I image the apply to the staff order emails too.  

As an alternative maybe the app team can add their scheduler to the order status page instead. Though this is more suitable for a "pay for everything upfront and change you delivery date as needed" model.

Though if on the 2nd (or greater) order they cannot change their delivery date, how to they do it now?

ScreenStaring
Software Development & Consulting
1 Like
Highlighted
6 0 0

@ScreenStaring wrote:

Maybe you could add the delivery date to the staff order email? Those instruction seems to be  for customers, but I image the apply to the staff order emails too.  

As an alternative maybe the app team can add their scheduler to the order status page instead. Though this is more suitable for a "pay for everything upfront and change you delivery date as needed" model.

Though if on the 2nd (or greater) order they cannot change their delivery date, how to they do it now?

The problem is that the customer can't see their next delivery date when they receive the subscription reminder email, and it doesn't appear on the checkout page (it's on the cart page) so the 2nd or greater order doesn't record it. The app developers won't change this and I don't have the skills or money to recode the app, so I need to look at other options.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
23 0 0

Hi @TrentSC , They mention in their documentation that we can add scripts to the order status page , that's the thank you page. I have not tried it before and still we need to dig more into it but let's assume it can be done.  I sketched what it could be like in photoshop you can see the image below, do you think this will meet your requirement?

order_status.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@MazenMustafa wrote:

Hi @TrentSC , They mention in their documentation that we can add scripts to the order status page , that's the thank you page. I have not tried it before and still we need to dig more into it but let's assume it can be done.  I sketched what it could be like in photoshop you can see the image below, do you think this will meet your requirement?

order_status.jpg

In theory that would be a good start!

0 Likes