Sales Channel vs. App?

Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 3

I recently submitted a sales channel app for review and it got its first rejection.  I was given a list of revisions I must perform in order to continue.  There is only one item in the list of revisions that I do not understand.  The one item is this:

This app has been submitted as a Sales channel and should be submitted as an app.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between a Sales channel and an app in my situation since I made a sales channel app. 

For simplicity of explanation, my app does something like this.   If you live in a city where your professional baseball team is leading the opposition by a score of X or more, then you automatically get a discount of Y% off each product in your cart if the product has been tagged with the tag "baseball".

So let's say you have a baseball bat, a baseball, and a basketball in your cart.  If you live in Toronto and the Toronto Blue Jays is beating the Boston Red Sox by more than 5 points, then pressing checkout on the cart will lead you to a checkout page where you get 20% off the price of the baseball, 20% off the price of the baseball bat, and 0% off the price of the basketball.

I got all this working in my development store. I use the checkout api to assign the custom discount amounts based on your location and the status of your professional baseball team.

When I submitted my app for review, I got rejected because "This app has been submitted as a Sales channel and should be submitted as an app. "   Can someone clarify for me what this means exactly?  And is there some other setting/checkbox I was supposed to fill out before submitting to Shopify?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

I don't think your product meets the definition of a sales channel. A sales channel is a 3rd party venue (like FB or Pinterest ) where a store can place its products for sale. If a site visitor on your sales channel clicks on one of the products listed there, they will be taken to Shopify to complete the transaction.

Here's the relevant snippet from the Shopify help page on sales channels.

You can use Shopify's APIs and tools to build sales channel apps for your marketplace or platform. Sales channel apps enable merchants to easily publish their products to your platform, and connect your platform's users to millions of products from Shopify merchants. Shopify handles the hard parts, like payments, shipping, taxes, inventory, and analytics.

Hope this clarifies the reviewer's suggestion to you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 3

OK thanks.  Just so I'm clear on definition, is a sales channel app the same as a sales channel? 

Also, if i publish my "solution" as an app, does that mean I lose access to the checkout api?  I can't achieve the behaviour I specified above without the checkout api.  (related topic: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Non-public-app-that-can-populate-checkout-page-wit...)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

In this case, "app" refers to a marketplace like Instagram where vendors (aka shopify store owners) can publish their products so imho, a shopify channel and a shopify channel app are one and the same.

Also, if i publish my "solution" as an app, does that mean I lose access to the checkout api?

I don't know the answer to this question per se but here's what I think about it - since an "sales channel app" is a third party venue like Instagram, I'm pretty Shopify is going to allow that venue to manage checkouts on Shopify's behalf because that directly hurts the Shopify sales commissions/bottomline.

The Shopify helpdesk is probably the right team to officially answer this so I'd wait for them to finally close this for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

@agentjuly wrote:

Also, if i publish my "solution" as an app, does that mean I lose access to the checkout api?  I can't achieve the behaviour I specified above without the checkout api.

Did you ever get a response on whether access to the Checkout API is lost as an app instead of a Sales Channel?

I'm in the same boat, I need the features of the Checkout API for sending customers to a cart for a merchant's product, but I wouldn't call what I'm building a Sales Channel. We won't be listing any products directly to the public as explained above and in the docs.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

As far as I can tell, the Checkout API (https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/sales-channels/checkout?api[version]=2020-04) is only available as part of Sales Channel

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
62 3 2

I have the same question and it would be good to hear back from a Shopify Expert on what to do if you need access to the Checkout API but are not actually building a Sales Channel per se. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm in the same boat. I only need access to the checkout API but my functionalities does not exactly match that of Sales Channels. It would be nice to hear from Shopify team what the best way to approach this situation.

0 Likes