Search terms and Keywords for Google Shopping App

2 0 0

Hi Everyone, 

thanks for helping,  I've been going around in circles for 2 days trying to establish my linkage to Google Shopping by using the Google Shopping App within Shopify.  It appears that the app establishes a product feed to Google, which accepts the products and determines some way to categorize and search for it. It is both working and not working, and  I cannot figure out how to fine tune this at any level except by pulling more hair out

My  issue is that I can create an ad campaign in what appears to be three ways, and none are satisfactory:

1) Using the Google Shopping App, I have synced everything up, and the first time I uploaded, it appeared to be ok, and created a number of impressions and clicks, but, nothing got sent back to Shopify, so I couldn't tell what was what.  In trying to start over, my new Shopify automation is again showing up fine in the Google Ads dashboard, but there is no activity on the campaign, even 24 hours after starting.  None of the objects within the campaign are accessible, and the search terms are limited to just one - which should still work, but its limited.

2) I can create a new Google Shopping campaign directly on Google’s ad site, and then I have to select the existing Shopify products (I can’t seem to create products manually, it appears it needs to be a feed, so for now, I’m stuck with what Shopify sent up).  This non-Google Shopping App campaign, manually created, is working to put out impressions and clicks, but at a rate that is about 1/10th of my ad budget.  Increasing impressions would seem to be a function of more keywords, which the Google Keyword Planner is happy to help me figure out...but...and this is where the hair is really getting pulled out...none of the additional keywords can be applied to a shopping campaign, its only for native "search" campaigns, which don't tie to my products as easy clicks on the Google Shopping bar.  I seem to read that you have to embed keywords and search terms in the title or description, but really, only one term is coming over even though I have plenty of text to describe it.

3) again, if I want to, I can create a standard Search campaign within Google, with these same and fine tune with lots of keywords to my heart's content, and thus really figure out where to push my ad dollars, and get lots of impressions as I need.  Just not a link any of my products, grrr

The questions I have are: 

1) why isn't my new Shopify campaign showing any activity - is there a step by step checklist I can run?  is it ever supposed to re-link back to Shopify so I can monitor metrics there...it didn't before even when the first one was running.

2) how can I modify the ability for my product to show up with additional search terms, other than making a new kind of title for every one of my desired search terms (seems that was one way Google shopping app figures it out).   is there a tag or something that goes out with the product feed that is accessible?

3) should I just find a way to do the feed myself so I can manipulate my product list it as needed?

3) is there a better app for doing this?

thank you, and the rest of my hair thanks you too

for helping me to retain what hair I have left.

John

0 Likes
2 0 0

here's two of the links for making your own feed, looking through it now

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2364723

which instructs you to create a google sheets which you can edit and create a new feed from 

here is more info about how to fill out the fields...i'm still looking for any hidden areas that could help keywords 

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7052112?visit_id=637088500046469826-3774266551&rd=1

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 1 3

Hi John,

Have had some similar experiences with Shopify + Google Shopping, and managed to get it working. Here's my thoughts:

1) why isn't my new Shopify campaign showing any activity - is there a step by step checklist I can run?  is it ever supposed to re-link back to Shopify so I can monitor metrics there...it didn't before even when the first one was running.

JR: From what I've seen, Shopify doesn't distinguish the traffic source between google search campaigns or Google shopping. There is probably some way to achieve this using UTMs or something but simplest solution I think would be to use Google Analytics, and make sure this is fully setup pull through results from Shopify as well as the Google Ads account, so you have a view of your Google Shopping campaign performance and contribution to traffic, sales, and conversion rate - seperate to other promotions such as Google Search ads.

2) how can I modify the ability for my product to show up with additional search terms, other than making a new kind of title for every one of my desired search terms (seems that was one way Google shopping app figures it out).   is there a tag or something that goes out with the product feed that is accessible?

JR: My experience was that Google Shopping is mostly a set and forget type of ad - there isn't any way to develop and optimise keywords, so can only assume the keywords are determined automatically by Google based on your product information that is feed to Google Merchant Centre ->Google Shopping ads. 

3) should I just find a way to do the feed myself so I can manipulate my product list it as needed/is there an app?

JR: Yes the solution I ended up going with was to ditch the Google Shopping app for Shopify and use Shopping Feeder to connect Shopify to Google Merchant Center, the main benefit was that we could better control the feed, how the data looks for each field required by Google Merchant Centre, create alternative product titles, prevent certain products from causing an issues with google such as free samples etc. https://www.shoppingfeeder.com/ 

There's a few steps involved to get it working, but it's been running for over 3 months now very smoothly. If you want any help setting it up just let me know.

Jay.

0 Likes