Searching for App - product description from tag or script

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello all, new to the community, first post.

Im chasing an app to do something and I cant seem to find it. I'm hoping it exists but thought i would ask if anyone knows of one that can do this.

Due to the common keywords with other features searches seem to lead me to dead ends.

I want to prepare copy for product descriptions that can be inserted with some code like a hashtag, or script.

for example in the actual product description admin page i simply put

#advanced

#guarantee

#largeshipping

and it inserts text i have prepared somewhere else for each tag like details about the product being suitable for advanced users only, its quality is guaranteed and terms for guarantee, it requires a large box only suitable for shipping to certain locations.

so that i dont need to both write the description for each product and also edit each one individually if the text needs changing.

surely there is something already written to achieve this, but so far I have not been able to find it. thanks in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @burfodus,

Welcome to the community!

This is a great idea! I also spent like an hour trying to find an existing solution, but couldn't find any.

I'm considering creating an app that would enable such replaceable tags in product description. Would you be interested in testing an early version?

Thanks,
Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

sure, my site isn't live yet, i'm just in the process of loading and styling everything so I am ideal to do testing. 

I cant imagine its terribly difficult to create but mi unfamiliar with how shopify works. I just thought it would have been created already.

Closest i can find is a bulk edit function, you could tag it then edit based on the tag but its a workaround that would have to be repeated to catch all new stock with that tag and apps i found charge by the edit.

thanks

steve

0 Likes
Highlighted

Awesome! I also think that it shouldn't be difficult to build such an app. It will probably take some time until the app is reviewed and approved by the Shopify team, but we can test it as a private/custom app.

Exactly, the bulk edit would work only once. Replacing a tag with bulk edit would take away the possibility to update the text assigned to the tag later in the future.

I'm going to create the app that preserves the tags, and only replaces them dynamically when a product page is loaded. This way you will be able to update the tag text for all existing products where the tag was already placed.

Thanks,
Lukasz

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Sounds great. Keep me posted

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @burfodus,

The app is ready for beta testing. I named it Substitags, as a combination of substitute + tags. You can define a tag, for example, [guarantee] with an associated text "This products comes with a two years guarantee.", and the text will appear on product pages where you inserted [guarantee] in a product description.

substitags-screenshot.png

Please send me your store URL, and I'll give you a link to install the app.

I'll be happy to improve the app based on your feedback.

Best regards,
Lukasz

0 Likes