Shipping Rates based on Customer Tags

RMazzuca
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi All,

My client's store has both wholesale and retail product offerings. I am seeking a solution for their desired shipping rates. 

Is there an app that can customize shipping percentage of total sale based on customer tag? 

Example: Shipping charge is 15% of total order for both wholesale/retail. Retail clients, however, get free shipping of orders of $99 or more. We obviously do not want wholesale clients to get free shipping, but still get the 15% of total order shipping charge.

I'm wondering about the customer tag option because I have already flagged wholesale products to only appear for approved customer accounts with the wholesale tag. Hope this scenario makes sense. I'm happy to clarify!

Any and all help is appreciated!

Replies 11 (11)

Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 27

Hey @RMazzuca,

I'm a bit late to reply so I hope you found a solution! I figured I would provide an answer for others who may experience a similar shipping requirement.

Offering shipping based on customer tag isn't a built-in Shopify option and you'll need a third-party app for this. Intuitive Shipping lets you create separate shipping strategies for both retail and wholesale customers, and also lets you add in the rules you're describing. Our customer success team is always happy to help at support@intutiiveshipping.com, but I've outlined the general overview of how to get this configured below. 

From what you've described, you would need 3 Shipping Scenarios:

1. a Shipping Scenario for your wholesale customers with a Condition based on Customer Tag > Wholesale
  2. a Shipping Scenario for your retail customers that has a 'Cart Total' %-based charge, and then assigning the 'Free Shipping Override' to $99.

Since your wholesale customers need to log in to gain access to lower shipping prices, you don't need to assign a customer-type Condition for your retail Shipping Scenario. Any non-logged in customers will have access to the 15% order total shipping cost + $99+ free shipping. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

Vchong
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Sharon-Reeds,

Thanks for the message. We have been using intuitiveshipping. we've been satisfied customers and have been so pleased with the support and training received from Paul Cann - who is just amazing!

in 2023 things began to go sideways because our B2B customers frequently change the customer ship to name and address. Since customer tags are not in the payload, intuitive shipping no longer works for us.  App may work if script was applied to bill to address for us or an email tag? Would you consider this? Thanks for your help!

Jill_Kanto
Tourist
12 0 1

We have the same issue where shopify no longer reliably sends the customer tags to Intuitive Shipping. So we have been searching for some way to accomplish the automatic free shipping for wholesalers for quite some time now. 

Vchong
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Jill,

Unfortunately Intuitive Shipping no longer was a solution for us. We switched to BeSpoke. Min who is the owner is really great. He injected a token into the cart and then was able to fix. Our B2B customers drop ship on behalf of their end customers. So far so good. Also we looked into Spark Layer to work with intuitive shipping as I think their interface is better; and it was not an economical decision. If you'd like to network and share resources, let's linkedin each other. my handle vaness33. Best of luck!  I am surprised that the founder of intuitive shipping never got back.

and I am also surprised that the community moderator of shopify never answered. Oh well

rlee0105
Visitor
1 0 0

You're using BeSpoke for both b2b & b2c? Are you on classic shopify or plus? 

I'm on classic and I'm trying to figure out a way to have 2 separate shipping costs for these groups myself..

Vchong
Tourist
4 0 0
hello,

using for b2b and b2c
i would try to reach out to bespoke shipping

hello@parcelintelligence.com.au

tell him vanessa sent you. he's great!
Vchong
Tourist
4 0 0

See below

min's email at bespoke is hello@parcelintelligence.com.au you can tell him vanessa sent you. best of luck

Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
191 13 33

Hi Jill,

I'm sorry to hear this situation has been affecting your setup. My understanding is that you did require a solution based on discount codes, which unfortunately, have never been included in the shipping information passed to us at checkout, and there is currently no workaround for that. It's a pain point for many merchants. Shopify simply doesn't provide any visibility of discount codes to third-party solutions, so we have no way to know whether a discount has been applied or not.

With regards to customer tags, I would urge you to reach out to Paul on our support team for assistance with that issue. We can provide you with more targeted information regarding customer tags and your setup. Additionally, we're constantly working with Shopify for ways to improve the process, and we do have measures in place for more consistent results. 

Please reach out to Paul at your earliest opportunity, at support@intuitiveshipping.com or by submitting a request through the Support page on the app. We'll be happy to provide you more information and any assistance required for your customer tag issue.

Best regards,
Ron

Customer Experience Manager @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles

Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 27

Hey @milan_appify,

What @RMazzuca is looking for is for their wholesale customers to receive a different shipping rate at checkout than her retail customers. Reason being, wholesale customers already get a discount on the product, and since they usually order in large quantities, they would always qualify for the free shipping promotion that is intended to convert retail customers into buyers. 

Your app would be a good fit if they were looking to make the tagging process automatic.

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @RMazzuca 

You can actually use an app stack to accomplish exactly what you're looking for. Best of all, it's all automated. What you'll need is an app that offers automatic customer tagging capabilities. There is an app called Smart Taggers that will accomplish exactly that. It will allow you to assign tags to orders or customers based on the rules you set up in their app. This app is only $2.99/month. Feel free to contact their support directly here if you need assistance with setting it up.

From there, you will want to use a shipping app that allows you to create shipping rates based on customer tags. Bespoke Shipping is a terrific, affordable option. They offer a 7-day free trial and then their pricing is very straightforward. It's $15/month all in. No hidden costs or capped usage. The only thing you need (along with the other shipping apps) is the carrier-calculated-shipping feature on your Shopify plan. You can get in touch with their support team here if needed.

Overall, this app stack will cost you $17.99/month. Once you set up your rules and conditions within the apps, everything is automated for you and your customers. I hope this helps!  If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Jill-Rush
Tourist
8 0 0

Same. And we have some special customers we give free shipping to on just 1 order.