Shopify App Android Camera Issue

Tourist
3 0 2

I've recently got a new Android phone and tried to use barcode scanner from phone camera to scan tracking number barcode to fulfil orders as usual. When I press the bardcode scanner button, the app shows "Barcode Scanner - Sorry, the Andrid camera encountered a problem. You may need to restart the deive".

I'm pretty sure I have enabled the camera permission for Shopify. The front camera works file if I change to front camera in setting of Shopify app. The rear camera just don't work.

Old phone was iPhone 7 Plus, works fine.

New phone is Huawei Mate 20 Pro, only front camera works.

Much appriciated if anyone can help!

1 Like
Community Manager
Community Manager
2412 163 356

Hi Gary, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Just to confirm, is the front camera working for you with the Shopify POS app or just in general? The reason I ask is that with there are certain requirements with Android and iOS devices when using the app and I'm wondering if this is what's causing the issue for you here.  Shopify has a guide going through all the details you need to know about getting set up with the Shopify POS app which you can see here

I'm not completely familiar with Android devices personally, but it could be worth restarting the device as it suggested also clearing the cache so to say and see if that helps. 

If none of the above does work, don't hesitate to reply and let me know and I can take a deeper look into reasons to why this might be happening. But it does feel like it is something with the device specifically. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have installed two Shopify Apps on my phone, one is Shopify (admin) and Shopify POS.

In Shopify POS, the back camera works fine.

In Shopify (admin), only the front camera works. When I try to use the back camera, the error message shows. "Barcode Scanner - Sorry, the Andrid camera encountered a problem. You may need to restart the deive". I did restart the phone, but still the same.

Did clear the app cache and reinstall the app, but the issue still remains.

Also tried Google the issue, but seems not many people have this issue. Only about camera permission which we needed to allow for Shopify. I'm pretty sure they are enabled for both Shopify Apps. I reckon it might be the app doesn't work with certain devices.

Would be much appriciated if you can help me solve this issue.

Thank you!

1 Like
Community Manager
Community Manager
2412 163 356

Hi Gary, 

Thanks for getting back to me with the updated information. If you are using an Android device with the latest update as signified in my first reply, then I'm leaning towards the app not working with certain devices also. I will investigate this further and get back to you with some confirmation if that's ok. Once i know more or have an update I will get back to you here. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Yes please Nick, I will be waiting for your reply here.

Thank you very much for your time and help!

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2412 163 356

Hi Gary, 

I was looking into this with our higher level support team for you. Would you be able to check and tell us what app version update and which Android version update you have? Could you also let me know if the email you signed up to the forum community with is the best to reach out to you on? Once we know what versions your app and device are on we check the app update with the Android device update and see if this could be the cause. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hi Nick,

I have the same phone as Gary and have the exact same issue as well. 

Here are the details you requested for:

App Version Update: Version 8.11.0

Android version update: 9

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes
2 0 1
Any advice on this?
1 Like
2 0 2
I have exactly the same issue with the new Huawei P30 Pro..
Everything worked fine with my Pixel 3XL...
Also works with one Shopify app and not the other
2 Likes
1 0 1

I have the same issue:

I'm using an S10 5G

1 Like