Shopify App Bridge required when loading app in new tab insteadof iframe ?

SVISHAL
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi,

Thank You for your time.

This is regarding Shopify App Bridge integration and recent notice shopify sent to app developers. (Update your Shopify apps to App Bridge 2.0 before Jan 1, 2022).

I want to know, if I load the app in parent window in new tab instead of loading in iframe, does it still required to use Shopify App Bridge and session token ?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Regards

Vishal

Replies 4 (4)

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
894 23 173

Shopify App Bridge is only required for embedded apps. This is because App Bridge is a prerequisite for implementing session token auth, which can handle auth even 3rd party cookie is disabled. 

If you are implementing a standalone app, you don't need to implement App Bridge.

Personally, I've just received the approval of a new app, BYOB yesterday. I was stuck in session token auth since there was no example for Python / Django at that time. So I spent 1 day changing it to a standalone app and passed through app review in a week. 

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
SVISHAL
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Thanks for your information. Shopify should mention this in documentation or they did but i failed to find the correct place.

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
894 23 173

Shopify did mention it in the docs. But the information is scattered in several pages, e.g. session token tutorial, OAuth tutorial, community threads, Github issues, release log, etc. TBH, I spent around 1 month studying these materials and go back-and-forth with the app review team. The documentation is updated frequently so one may overlook it. 

Besides my latest app, my 1st app is also pending for revamping. I'm still struggling between embedded apps vs standalone apps. For my 1st app, it's using server-side rendering with Django. Django by default stores session id in cookies. This default setting makes it hard for me to refactor it. 

The new session token + App bridge favors SPA over SSR. You should beware of it. You can read my latest article if you want to know more. It covers the catches from my experiences.

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
SVISHAL
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

thanks for sharing the post link.

I also have 3 live apps to update and make it valid according to shopify, lots of work to do because inside the app I am using framework functions like pagination, nav, alerts etc.  but I will go with standalone app(load the app in new window) and remove all shopify based code because i don't want any dependency like these days shopify did, completely updating or discarding framework like embedded app.  its very difficult to completely update live project with customers.

I just want to be sure that i am not going in wrong way as per the rules of app store for the app to be published.