Shopify Apps - Major Privacy Concerns / Issues

Tourist
3 0 5

Hi,

I'm new to shopify but not the to the ecommerce world. I recently create my shopify account and started looking at apps. I've noticed that quite a few apps require access to your shopify account data including private client information. Is it just me or is this a major privacy concern? I don't even know why this is allowed.. as it clear that these free apps vendors are collecting and most likely reselling your client information and sales information. This is very bad and I'm not sure why shopify is allowing this to happen?

Does anyone have information on this topic?

Thank you,
Stef

3 Likes
Shopify Expert
9807 92 1561

If the app has access to the Customers API it would have access to customer data (which makes sense). Orders API access would give access to data on an order which would also have some customer data.

Have you come across an app that doesn't touch customers at all but wants that scope? I can think of many valid reasons to expose that data. For example, an email marketing tool that will need email address. Some loyalty app that needs to accumulate spending patterns. etc.

When installing the app the permission scope is made clear so if you have concerns over data usage, don't install it.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Tourist
3 0 5

Hi Jason,

I found an app that allows a client to request a product quote prior to purchase. It looks like the app simply replaces the cart button. When installing, I noticed that it needed access to all our information and client information. As nothing in life is free, these apps makers are hoping to give you a free tool against private client info and sales insight to resell. It feels just like Facebook apps from a few years ago that collected friends data with a goal to use it for profits.  

One of the selling points for shopify for me was the apps - knowing that most are built with malicious  intent is quite a turn off. I'm surprised that not many more people have spoken up against this corrupt business model. 

Cheers,
Stef

2 Likes
Shopify Expert
9807 92 1561

I know personally a bunch of devs and teams that have made apps for the store. I've had a hand in some myself. None of those are for malicious intent so we're just going to have to disagree on your comment there. If you think an app is being dodgy please contact the support team and let them know. 

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 5

Hi Jason,

I hope that all apps developers are all on the up and up - but I think you'll agree that requesting access to personal information when not required looks a bit fishy.  I didn't plan to install a bunch of apps but the ones that I believe shouldn't require access personal info I will flag. 

Thank you for your feedback on this topic,
Stef

0 Likes
3 0 0

i've had the same concerns and am surprised to not see more people discussing this issue. i can't for the life of me figure out why an app that adds sidebar filter functions would need my customers phone number, email or physical address...or any sensitive customer information at all. for some of the apps, some of that may make sense, but a lot of these I'm assuming are companies that are data mining, as there is absolutely no other reason they would need access to that information. steering clear of apps requesting that info myself. 

0 Likes
2 0 1

totally agree. it's wild that there's not more about this in shopify review forums and articles even outside of Shopify! Did you find any legit apps worth using? 

@bungle wrote:

Hi Jason,

I hope that all apps developers are all on the up and up - but I think you'll agree that requesting access to personal information when not required looks a bit fishy.  I didn't plan to install a bunch of apps but the ones that I believe shouldn't require access personal info I will flag. 

Thank you for your feedback on this topic,
Stef

1 Like
1 0 2
Completely agree - found a great addon (Buddha App - Mega Menu) and the moment I saw what information they want to have access for simply implementing a mega menu was disturbing.

I want to protect the business I build and my customers and giving away all the data in exchange for an addon is not in it for me.

I love shopify but they need to set serious boundaries to third party actors especially when they want unnecessary access to customer data.
2 Likes
1 0 2

Hi bungle... I have the same concern and Jason seems to have NOT addressed your query. I looked a couple of free SEO apps and they do in fact say they will collect personal info about my customers. Again Jason or another human, why does this appear to be common among some apps? Why is personal/private info required to assess my SEO titles, metas, etc? The billing address, phone, email, etc of my customers is in no way associated with me improving SEO. That is, I already have the aforementioned individuals as customers and I want to improve SEO to capture additional/other/unidentified customers.

2 Likes
Tourist
13 0 0

I agree totally and what is more disturbing is Shopify attesting to the fact that these apps indeed need this information where in fact they don't

0 Likes