Shopify Buy Button Cart

Tourist
32 0 2

Is it possible to link the shopify buy button to my websites cart rather than a separate cart? We are using the buy now button on the product page within our shopify store itself as a way of recommending product add-ons.

Thanks,

VV

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
409 0 60

Hi Michael,

Britton here with the Shopify support team.

It's not currently possible to have the Shopify Buy Button link to a cart completely outside of Shopify. You could always use HTML/CSS to style buy buttons for your site to link up with the cart on your site, but you would likely need to get a developer to help you with that.

I hope that answers your question!

-Britton

Britton Shopify Guru
0 Likes
Tourist
15 0 1

I would like to use the Buy Button to feature products within my shopify blog, with the product modal feature to show more information. The problem exists that a customer can add this product to cart and then shop somewhere else on the website. If they add something else to cart not using a buy button it goes to a different cart. I would like both of these to go to the same cart for easy checkout.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
409 0 60

Hi Randy,

the Buy Button is really meant for using with non-Shopify sites, so it has to be able to pull your product data from offsite. If you are still on your Shopify site though it is possible to code something up that uses the local site data and pushes into your Shopify cart using the same kind of add to cart form found on your product pages.

This will be a little bit too complex for me to relate over a forum post so I would recommend reaching out to one of our Shopify Experts or in our small jobs board

I hope that helps!

-Britton

Britton Shopify Guru
0 Likes
Tourist
15 0 1

Britton

I would mention from the documentation it is aluded here 

https://help.shopify.com/manual/sell-online/buy-button/add-embed-code

That you can use this within your own shopify blog. But there is no mention of this fundemental problem. It makes addint this feature to a shopify blog detremental to the over all shopability of a site. Can you imagine a customer making it to checkout if they can't figure out where their products are going when they add them to chart?

Luckily I only wasted a few hours of implementing this before I tested it. It would be a disaster if someone did this for every blog post on their site and didnt realize this issue.

I would recommend that shopify makes this obvious in the documentation that it is not a suggested use and point out the issues. Or better yet fix the issue.

As of now I have posted on the experts board and nobody seems to know how to fix it.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
409 0 60

Hi again Randy,

It wouldn't be possible to change how the Buy Button cart works, but you could use the add to cart form found on the product pages to create buyable products on a page. This would be completely outside of the Buy Button fuctionality but should work for this purpose. 

I can see why being able to add the Buy Button to a page would be useful in some contexts, but it would require a complete rework of how the cart functions. Given that it isn't the primary purpose for the Buy Button it's unlikely to get picked up by the developers though.

-Britton

Britton Shopify Guru
0 Likes
Excursionist
26 0 13

I had the same problem as Randy.I found this app works well with shopify (and other sites) to create customisable buy/ view product buttons.No doubt there are other ways for those with the coding skills, I'm not one of them so for less than $2 a month I'm happy.

https://www.powr.io/plugins/button

0 Likes