Shopify For Non Profits

1 0 0

Is anyone else running a small nonprofit through Shopify?  If so, what apps are you using, payment processor for donations, recurring donations, how is the blog setup compared to Wordpress?  Basically, how has your experience been with using Shopify for your nonprofit's website?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
607 40 90

Hi, there. 

My name is Ren from the Shopify support team and while I don't have any personal experience running a non profit website, I do have some resources I thought I'd drop in here for you. It would actually be worth posting in the Shopify Reddit Community to ask for any relevant experiences.

Check out our NPO intro page here. Additionally, here are some apps and blog posts to consider: 

Kit - Acts as a personal ad and content manager that helps generate posts and ads for your business page by using the data available from your store.
Share the Love donations   - Allows customers to select the charity of their choice during checkout and tracks how much the charities have earned.

Round up for Charity - Enables customers to round up their checkout totals to quickly and easily donate to the charity of your choosing.

Pay What You Want - Allow your customers to choose how little or how much they'd like to donate, also integrates with digital downloads.

Crowd Funding Manager - Set up and run crowd-funding campaigns.

One Tree Planted at Checkout - Gives your customers the unique opportunity to have a tree planted for every $1 they donate. 

Easy Donation - Allows your customers to donate a portion of their order to a charity.

Change Commerce - Easily donate to the charity your customer supports!

Have you looked into Google's Non Profit benefits? Check here for Canada and here for the United States. Google for Non Profits gives organizations free access to GSuite, AdWords ads (Up to $10,000/month), YouTube and more! 

Finally, some worthwhile blog posts to dive into to learn effective marketing and increase traffic including 5 Things That Can Make Nonprofit Marketers More Effective and 5 High-Impact Strategies for Getting More Traffic.
Also, read up on Jesus Economy's success stories here for some inspiration. They creates jobs and churches in the developing world and raise funds by selling fair trade products handmade by developing world artisans.

Keep in mind that once you're registered, you can contact support and ask about our Non Profit Organization Plans to see if they'd be right for you. I'd love to know more about your organization, have you started building your store yet? Let me know what you think! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 46 58

Hey there, @agoodteam!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify and thanks for posting! Glad to see you're making use of our Community Forums to hear feedback from other members of our Community. I personally run a small non-profit organization, and host it's website/online store on the Shopify platform, and hope I can offer some guidance. Of course, every business and non-profit has unique needs, so we may need to find alternative solutions for your particular organization.

For my payment processing, I use Shopify Payments (powered by Stripe). Shopify Payments has zero transaction fees - which definitely helps when you're running a non-profit organization. This payment provider is only eligible within specific countries at this point, but we're always looking to expand our coverage. I recommend reviewing the Shopify Payments requirements in the guide to see if this is suitable for you. If not, you can check out third party payment providers available in your region. I also have the PayPal Donate button embeded onto a "Donate" page  to collect donations for the time being. This is how it looks like:

05-41-cp1ik-dt1tj

As Ren mentioned above, there's plenty of splendid donation apps that you can take advantage of. I haven't selected one yet specifically as we're still a start-up and experimenting between the tools to determine which would best suit our needs. I recommend doing the same to find the right fit for your business. It might help us to know more about your organization. What kind of products or services are you offering, and what cause are you supporting? 

While I wasn't able to find a specific donation app that supports recurring billing, you can reach out to the app developers directly to confirm whether this is a feature their apps indeed support. Alternatively, there are a few recurring billing apps you can browse through here. Most of them do charge on a monthly basis, although the Recurring Payments & Orders app has a free plan if you're using the Stripe payment gateway with a 3.0% successful transaction fee rate. 

Prior to using Shopify, I used Wix to develop the non-profit organization's website. At the time, we had no need for a checkout as it was pre-dominantly an informational site. It is cheaper, so ultimately the best platform for you would depend on what your needs are. Now, we've expanded to sell products as a means of obtaining an additional source of funding - as grants are hard to come by for our cause. While I found Shopify overwhelming initially since moving over from Wix (which didn't have as many features), it's been the best decision for our organization. For me, having access to 24/7 Support was a huge factor in the switch as there were a few times I had to wait days for the email support dialogue to result in a solution through Wix. Having a simple means of organizing products, apps, blogs, in addition to an abundance of business and marketing resources and support has made all the difference. 

I hope this answer was able to provide some additional insight on the recommendations of my colleague, Ren. If you have any questions for either of us, please let us know and we'd be happy to see how we can clarify and further assist your organization's growth. 

Cheers!

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
1374 0 0

How do you set up your donations? Just like a regular Product?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 117 357

@Anonymous yes just like a regular product with some specific settings such as turning off inventory tracking, marking it as not a physical product, and if need be adjust tax settings,etc.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
1 Like