Shopify reveiws app invalid markup

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

When I install and enable Shopify reviews app google schema markup validator is throwing an exception. The review app includes the following markup. Google is expecting the itemReviewed to be a Product and not a Thing.

<div class="spr-summary" itemscope itemprop="aggregateRating" itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateRating"> 
    <meta itemprop="itemReviewed" content="Unique Recycled Auto Part Chess Set"> 
    <span class="spr-starrating spr-summary-starrating"> 
    <meta itemprop="bestRating" content="5"> 
    <meta itemprop="worstRating" content="1"> <meta itemprop="reviewCount" content="2"> 
    <meta itemprop="ratingValue" content="5.0"> 
    <i class="spr-icon spr-icon-star"></i><i class="spr-icon spr-icon-star"></i>
    <i class="spr-icon spr-icon-star"></i><i class="spr-icon spr-icon-star"></i><i class="spr-icon spr-icon-star"></i></span> 
    <span class="spr-summary-caption"><span class='spr-summary-actions-togglereviews'>Based on 2 reviews</span></span>
    <span class="spr-summary-actions"> <a href='#' class='spr-summary-actions-newreview' onclick='SPR.toggleForm(8964697741);return false'>Write a review</a></span>

</div>

Which results in the following error. There is no way I can change the markup of the reviews app. So for the time being we have disabled the app. Can Shopify please fix the markup issue?

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 7.49.29 PM.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 40 103

Hi, @orthosie !

Katy here from Shopify. 

Thanks so much for reaching out about this, and for providing detailed info and screenshots. 

As I understand, Google have recently changed their rich snippets requirements and the Product Reviews AggregateRating property

I know we have spoken directly via email already about this being slightly different in your own case due to your theme.  I did, however, want to leave a note here on this post in case any of our community members come across this. 

This is something that our technical team is aware of, and is actively looking into.

• If you are experiencing something similar and are using a Shopify-built theme, do please contact our support directly. We can then create a ticket and examine this in detail to best help you out.
  • If you are using a third-party theme, you may need to contact your theme developer as there may be custom coding affecting this. 
  • If you are unsure in any way, you can always reach out to our team and we can help to point you in the right direction. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

@KatyThank you! Let me know if there is an update on this. i.e. if and when shopify developers release the fix for this, so that I can enable this again. Happy holidays!

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 40 103

Thanks for your reply, @orthosie  and apologies for my delay in getting back to you.

I will for sure! Though, as mentioned, in your own case it relates to  "@type": "Thing"  being hardcoded within the product_structured-data.liquid file in your third-party theme. This is separate from the app itself. I do suggest to reach out to your theme developer directly regarding this in the meantime. 

Wishing you all the best for the new year!

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes