Shopify unlisted app showing white screen when installing-uninstalling rapidly

monks82
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Hi everyone,

We've created a new shopify app which would act as an interface between our platform and shopify, thus connect and Sync store(s) on our platform with shopify. Furthermore, will sync all products, collections and other relevant details.

However, its a one way sync at the moment (from our platform to shopify and not other way around).

Talking about tech stack, our app is built upon NodeJs + ReactJs.

We've also introduced AWS lambda functions (serverless tech) to do away with the need for provisioned servers.

We've recently submitted app for review to shopify so that it can listed and publicly available for customers to install and use.

Received feedback from them that they're facing white-screen as soon as they try install app from shopify for connecting stores. Attaching reference screen shot below:

Capture.PNG

Apparently, 404 - page not found error.

We managed to reproduce same issue on our local testing environments and observed that this is more of Infrastructure/environment issue rather than an app issue and came to conclusion that some Lambda related config may be causing this issue since if we remove lambda from picture and verify install-uninstall scenarios, they are working perfectly and as desired. But with Lambda, this issue can be reproduced frequently on multiple environments.

Since, we dont want to take chance and go for app submission with this issue still there (which will increase chance of another rejection), only option we've is to remove Lambda from picture and then verify.

Since im not very much familiar with Lambda,

1. I want to understand if some one here has also already faced same/similar issues in past and what can be the solution to eradicate this.
  2. Also, wanted to understand how much impact this scenario would make during app submission and review.

Another point i want to highlight here's our customers/merchants are also already doing app install/uninstall and havent faced/reported any such issue yet. So this issue seems confined to shopify review process, as during the review process, they encountered this issue that prevented them from completing the review. And as a result, they didn't approve our app. 

Look forward to some timely assistance/feedback/suggestion.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Vellir
Shopify Partner
132 29 33

Hi monks82,

Are you using the React+Next+Node? If so, it's a know issue that nextJs doesn't work well on AWS Lambda.

I've tried deploying the same tech stack do Lambda before and had the same issue as you. 

Your best option is to provision a node server and run your app on it.

If you submit the app the the review team has the same issue they might suspend your account.

- Yes, we build Shopify Apps. Hit me with your idea: https://vellir.tech
- Let customers preview your products and easily add them to cart with Peek Mode
- Add free, good looking social share icons with built-in analytics to your store with Share Lab
- Manage your new arrivals with Newr
0 Likes
monks82
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Hi Vellir,

Thanks for your response.

Yes we are using React+Next+Node.

Also, keen to know and understand how you resolved this issue at your end ! 

Is provision a node server the only solution?

Moreover, any further inputs on why nextJs doesn't work well on AWS Lambda?

Regards.

0 Likes
Vellir
Shopify Partner
132 29 33

NextJS creates/removes files as the pages are requested. For that reason it needs to use the filesystem, which is not available when using lambda. 

The last time I looked into that was about 6 months ago.

After spending a considerable amount of time I gave up and had to provision a server the tradicional way. Might try again for my next app.

- Yes, we build Shopify Apps. Hit me with your idea: https://vellir.tech
- Let customers preview your products and easily add them to cart with Peek Mode
- Add free, good looking social share icons with built-in analytics to your store with Share Lab
- Manage your new arrivals with Newr
0 Likes
monks82
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Thanks Vellir for assistance.

Will work towards same and see how it goes.

0 Likes