Slow Loading: Especially Reviews On Product Pages

Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi There,

Our Shopify shop is https://www.italiastraps.com/

We are experiencing two issues:

(1) General pages on the site will seem to load normally but grind away trying to "connect to v.shopify.com"
(2) Product pages load, but then it takes 10-15 seconds for product reviews to load.

Note: The problems exist when using Chrome, Firefox and mobile browsers, but not Microsoft Edge.

The problems seems to have started in the last day or so. 

Any guidance would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

I spoke with Shopify support. They seem to think it is related to a certain ISP (Comcast) and some type of DNS issue. Shopify and Comcast seem not to be talking to each other correctly.

The slow loading does not occur for users on other ISPs or mobile users.

Note: I get the same slow results on other Shopify stores as our office uses Comcast as their ISP.

Has anyone else run into this issue with their stores/sites?

0 Likes
Houseofmakeup_b
1 0 0

Hi Michael, 

I'm just starting up my store, but i'm experiencing the same issue. (i'm a webdev)

Takes up to a minute to load the reviews. 

I checked your website (nice straps btw) and the problem is identical !

I live in belgium and using another ISP. Problem occors using Chome / Sarafi and Safari iOS.

Kind regards,

Jonas

PS: Also checkout processing is slow. (keeps loading)

0 Likes
Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for writing. With your new info I don't believe its an issue related to DNS or just one ISP. Furthermore I was able to change settings to uses google's public DNS and there was no change -- the problem is still there!

Note: The problem for me does not occur using Micrsoft Edge/Explorer but does occur using Chrome and Firefox.

0 Likes
Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

Update: I just recieved a call from the gentleman who operates https://tressence.com/ . He saw this post.

He is experiecing the same issues on his site. We ran a few tests to confirm. Site loads but Reviews take 20 seconds + to populate.

Once again, Micrsoft Edge/Explorer is fine. Other browsers have the delay.

Can anyone from Shopify provide guidance on this matter?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Elizabeth_Ward
Tourist
25 0 3

Same thing here.  Edge not too bad, the others hopeless.

0 Likes
Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi Liz,

I am getting the same results for your site here in California. With Edge/Explorer pages and reviews load instantly... with Chrome, Firefox its hopelessly slow.

I just called Shopify support again. The tech I talked to pretty much ruled out a connection/ISP issue and thinks its a browser issue -- as in there was possible a theme update to shopify that Chrome and Firefox have trouble with.  A further point of concern is it looks like you started having problems many months ago?  https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-apps/t/shopify-reviews-app-hideously-slow-loading-reviews-37...

Note: We installed the basic/Free Shopify reviews app in early January 2017 and have had zero issues until a couple days ago. Additionally, its the only app running on our site.

I'll be sure to post any info I discover.

All the best,

Michael

0 Likes
howbern
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm having the same issue and I've spoken with Michael Salerno to compare notes. We both find that on both collection and product pages the return from the call for product review data is very slow, about 20 seconds for me, using both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Michael noted that the delay does not occur with the Microsoft Edge browser. I tried Microsoft Internet Explorer and it too returned the review data almost instantly.

I had a chat with Shopify support and it was suggested that the issue was the large number of reviews I have, but the evidence suggests otherwise. I followed up by phone to press my case and am told that my ticket is being escalated.

I hope that everyone that encounters this problem follows up with Shopify support.

0 Likes
Michael_Salerno
Tourist
12 0 1

Thanks Howbern.

I forgot to mention that the tech I spoke to also said the ticket would be "escalated" to the development team.

Additionally, the tech I spoke with did not think the issue has anything to do with the number of reviews (1) because they are simply text, not big files and (2) because the load just fine using Edge/Explorer.

Thanks!

0 Likes
GymJam
Shopify Partner
8 0 17

Any updates on this? My product page is painfully slow :(

0 Likes