Spocket fraudulent charges

Highlighted
4 0 0

It has been 2 weeks since I discovered that Spocket has been taking $9 a month out of my business account for a site I deleted so long ago my bank records won't go back that far to find out how much they truely owe me.

I immediately reached out to their support for cancelation and a refund. It has been 2 weeks and have received only 2 emails from the same guy named "Vash". He advised me to downgrade my account and I would no longer be charged. As for getting a refund he said he would look into it. I have not had a response from him yet. 

Therefore I would like a refund from Shopify on the grounds that I deleted  the site and app so long ago and should not be charged for it because I deleted the entire site and app. However, I did use "forgot password on Spocket's site and was able to downgrade my subscription, hopefully that stops the charge. 

That just leaves the feeling of abuse. I don't if the terms and conditions protect 3rd party devs from these charges but it certainly feels like I have be taken advantage of and that this is borderline theft.

I am very close to filing charges on Spocket for fraud and possibly Shopify itself (depending on how this is handled)

Furthermore, I have just discovered that there is no real way to contact Shopify directly from their website and that is why I am forced to write in this community blog...

Needless to say I am quite perturbed about this entire issue. Its not about the money, its just wrong to take something from somebody without their permission. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4265 32 434

So, when you run a Shopify store, and you install an App, Shopify collects money from you, and pays the App developer a share. Are you saying you just realized from your itemized Shopify invoice that you have been paying for an App, and you did not want to? Or is it that you have a Shopify store, and when you list your Apps, that App is not one of them? When you delete a Shopify store, or quit, Shopify quits all App billing too. So what do you mean when you say you deleted a site? What does that have to do with Shopify?

Normally, you pay Shopify for Apps. If you made a deal to pay someone on the side, outside of Shopify, and you gave them permission to charge you, you are 100% responsible for that as it is not Shopify billing.

So before you sue someone, what is the setup here? I am just curious...

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
I simply installed the app from the shopify app store and agreed to the
most basic Spocket plan for $9 (same plan is now $24 to give you an idea of
how long ago I signed up).

I don't think I signed up from an external site, but it may have redirected
me there to enter billing info or something...which is entirely possible.

At any rate, it was downloaded from the appstore and Shopify is not without
some fault in the same way Apple backs their customers in the Apple store
when this happens.

In reference to sueing. I never said I would sue for my money back. I
actually don't care that much about the money.

I just want better customer service....Contacting customer service here is
like Uber, Airbnb, and Amazon... I do not like this trend of community
customer service I see.

Smart for them, not so much for us.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Yes the app was deleted from my store and I assumed all charges would stop at that point, but that is not what happened. 

I submit it is not ethical to continue charging for an app once it is deleted from your store and that it is explicitly Shopify's responsibility to ensure the charging is terminated in a timely manner. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4265 32 434

Shopify has 30+ lawyers now, so if an App was behaving unscrupulously, you can be sure there is recourse for you. When you quit an App, Shopify does quit and cancel all billing. So any billing for $9 you are seeing had to be you agreeing to pay this Spocket company, completely outside of Shopify, on the side? How else to explain it? Where are you seeing this $9 charge? Your credit card statement or your Shopify invoice? Makes a big difference. In the case of your credit card statement, if there, you can take it up with them, and they can tell you to the penny how much you spent, and how to stop it. Has zip to do with Shopify, although now, in the case of Apps, any App that charges $ outside Shopify, has to remit 20% to Shopify. So you could easily inquire if that is in fact happening, and if not, that company Spocket could be audited by Shopify for fraud against Shopify... for using their platform without paying their 20% dues.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Good info thanks. It was on my card and not on any shopify statement.

So it must be the former event you outlined.

I am sure both parties are sufficiently CYA’ed. I would simply like somebody to hold Spocket responsible for this.

I think Shopify should hold Spocket and other vendors accountable for this practice. The terms I agreed to in fine print may say I agreed to this but we all know that the practice of taking people’s money without a service or good given in return is either a) an accident or b) theft/fraud
0 Likes