Supplier Code Field for Products

Kim4
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I am thinking of switching to Shopify for my POS System. I am currently using Vend for POS and Shopify for eCommerce. My issue is that Shopify does not have a space for supplier codes under each product. I've seen a couple of other posts talking about this issue, but could not find a solution. I have tried multiple metafield apps to add in a custom field, but I am not able to search for my products based on my supplier code metafield (through Shopify or through each app I've tried).

I saw someone suggested using product tags for this, but each individual item has its own supplier code and I have thousands of products; so that doesn't seem like it would work well. Does anyone have a workaround for me to be able to enter my supplier codes AND be able to search my products based on the supplier code? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Kim

Replies 6 (6)

Nancy_Drake
Shopify Partner
185 10 21

Hello @Kim4 

Ultimate Filter & Search allows you to control the search index and add the Metafields to the Search field. The set-up is easy without any coding skills.

metafield.png

It offers 14-days free trial at https://apps.shopify.com/ultimate-search-and-filter-1

You can set up the widget on an unpublished theme and test all the advanced features without affecting your live store.

I hope it can help.

You can choose an unpublished theme to set up the widget and test all the advanced features without affecting your live store.

I hope it can help.

AI Search & Product Filter | SB - Check out our Shopify search and filter app to drive more sales

poppi
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Kim, 

We here at Tegen Accessories are having the same issue. We have recently stopped using Vend and Shopify, and have switched to just Shopify but are missing having our supplier code field so much! Please let me know if you find any other ways to rectify this. 

I hadn't heard about product tags - but good idea! I will try this also. 

Many thanks, 

Poppi

ShoesOnSolano
Excursionist
38 0 6

I too am using Vend for POS and Shopify for e-commerce.  One of the biggest reasons why I haven't switched over is my reliance on supplier codes for much of my inventory.  I'm not really sure that metafields are the answer (though it does look like an awesome search booster), so the suggested app (Ultimate Product Search+Filter) seems like the wrong tool for the job.  Has anyone found a solution yet?

FransCake
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello!  Just wondering if anybody has found a solution for this?  I'm on the Vend/Shopify combo and am planning to migrate to Shopify POS but I have over 10,000 products and the supplier code is really important for our ordering process.  Any suggestions are welcome! 

ShoesOnSolano
Excursionist
38 0 6

@FransCake Honestly, I never did switch from Vend to Shopify POS.  The more I researched it the more I was unhappy with Shopify POS.  I do still use Shopify for my e-commerce and I use AirTable to handle a lot of things within that system.  I know it's a new system to learn, but it might be worth a quick look because you can set up a lot of automations with just a little know-how that you can then use for ordering and reports.  (And honestly, I don't know if it's because I come from an Excel/Vend background or what, but Shopify's data handling sucks, so I need a connected data handler.)  Within the Airtable database you can add fields that Shopify just doesn't put data into, like supplier codes.  There are two apps available to connect the systems, one through Shopify (expensive, but seems reasonably thourough) and the other through AirTable (but I have no experience with it yet, just havent had the time, so I can't tell you how well it works).

Unfortunately, there is no clean, easy answer for this, and you will have to choose some add-on or other to make this work for you.

Jon_Keast
Visitor
2 0 1

It is beyond frustrating that Shopify you cant sort this.  It's important and all that is needed is a single spare text field on each product.

Why not just listen to us customer and do this?