Support Tickets Plus / Shopify RMA

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

UPDATED -- June 2nd 2015

Hello Shopify'ers,

As some of you may know, Shopify RMA was the first returns application created for Shopify. The app was a simple and easy to use system for customers to request returns/exchanges for their products. However Shopify was discussing a policy change that would require applications to stop using the word "Shopify" in their title. Due to this potential change in policy, I created Support Tickets Plus to take over for Shopify RMA. It's a similiar system with a few back end tweaks. However now it seems Shopify RMA is still an acceptable application name.

So where does that leave my work and development of the returns applications?

Well the plan now is to finish the latest version of the system and merge everyone into Shopify RMA. I like that name better, it suits the system better and it would be easier to maintain a single app versus two applications. While the next version of Shopify RMA is still in development, it is coming.

So I just wanted to update the forums here to keep everyone in the loop.

Once the new Shopify RMA is live, the process of merging from Support Tickets Plus will be easy. You just install Shopify RMA and if you choose to do so, you can import any existing tickets from Support Tickets Plus.

If anyone here is new to either Shopify RMA or Support Tickets Plus, I recommend trying Support Tickets Plus for your Shop. It's a simple system and is very easy to use.

2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Jonathan! Thank you for your work on this! I have one question for you. Will there be any return shipping label integration? I would love for my customers to have the ability to initiate their own returns and print a return shipping label all at once.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

The app will support adding files such as shipping labels to the RMA itself right out of box.

Adding additional support for things like integrated shipping label generation is not hard to do just time consuming and I will have to familiarize myself with the individual API's such as UPS, Fedex, USPS etc.

I do have plans and a general layout set aside for giving admins direct label generation via the API's for those carriers. However right out of the box RMA will not have that feature. The admins for the time being would be to just attach the shipping label as a downloadable file to the RMA itself. They will also be able to attach the shipping label to emails as well.

The overall end point is to have TWO options

1. The store owner enables the RMA Request system. All RMA's are initiated as a Request from the user and approved/denied via the admin

or

2. The user generates the RMA and a return shipping label themselves.

So admins can choose one or the other. Me personally I would rather approve/deny RMA requests than give the customer a  method to create a full RMA & return shipping label themselves.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Nice updates to the Request an RMA form. The user now has a nice interface for designating each item as return or exchange and it will show them their predicted refund as well.

You can see a screenshot of this form on the web album

https://plus.google.com/photos/110178266525580080256/albums/5940867365277614129?authkey=CIbf7OrH2ZH8...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Excellent news..

It looks like I have a method for letting full and multiple partial refunds be done on RMAs.  You will be able to use the normal shopify refund methods to issue refunds and the RMA record will stay in sync.

So if you issue a partial refund or full refund the RMA record will be updated to show the refund. This gives your customers a nice way to refer back to their RMA records if needed and see the refund as well as RMA status messages, comments and files etc.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Nearly done with 2.0

I have to finish up the refund management & code in the email alerts.

So far the entire system is integrated with your shop. You must have user accounts enabled though for full integration. Shops who disable user accounts will be forced to admin the RMA records from the backend of shopify rma itself. The rest of the system is still integrated though

I am nearing the time where I will push this version to my server and have beta testers use it.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Anyone who wants to play with the RMA system from a customers point of view is more than welcome to go to my dummy store and place some fake orders

http://lindgren-beahan-and-torp2415.myshopify.com/

Store Password is phowbu

Place A Fake Order

Add the items you wish to purchase to your cart.
Go to check out and enter the following payment information

Credit Card Number: 1
Expiration: Jan 2016
CVV Code: 123

I can use some fake orders to play with so feel free to place as many as you want.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

I need Input from store owners and admins

Due to the limitations of shopify, proxy apps & their API there is a little hitch with RMAs for people without an account.

In order to make the system work without requiring stores to have accounts enabled. The RMA records for each user are viewable by anyone with their unique rma url. Enter that url and you are taken right to the customers rma record.

Now only the customer and admins would know this URL so it is fairly secure. However there is still that chance that someone gets their hands on the customers RMA URL and then they have access to all the files on that customers RMA, they can post comments request a cancellation etc.

What is everyones take on this. Are unique urls really secure enough or should the RMA's be locked down to user accounts only. Which means if a store has accounts disabled they will not be able to use Shopify RMA

Everyone please post your thoughts on this.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Solution

Ok so here is the security solution. Shops MUST have accounts enabled to use RMA 2.0

When a user places an order but chose NOT to create an account they will be forced to create one when requesting an RMA for their order. This is to ensure 100% security of their RMA record and information. The process is dead simple.

The customer visits your site and looks for exchange or rma information and they are taken to the RMA App where it asks them to login OR create their account and they follow the normal process from there. Login to their new account, goto your return/exchange page and request an RMA for their order.

So problem solved & its secure. The downside is that now in order to use RMA 2.0 your shop MUST enable user accounts. Which I don't truly see why any shop would not have user accounts enabled anyways. It just makes sense to have them so users have order history to refer to.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
82 0 8

Ive got the refund system worked out good.

When you issue a refund on an RMA the RMA record will update to reflect the refund amount and time/date it was done.

You will also be able to issue multiple partial refunds as well. Each refund issued will be tracked and show on the RMA history section.

0 Likes