Syncing product inventory with my own shop - not dropshipping.

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there! I sell earrings, and have the options for two different ear wires on each product in my shop.

Lets say I only have 1 pair of earrings in stock - I can change the ear wires on them to whatever the customer needs. Even though the ear wires can be changed, I have to enter that I have 2 of the earrings in stock for a customer to be able to choose the appropriate ear wires, even though I only have 1 pair of earrings available.

Sometimes a customer will purchase the last pair of earrings available with a certain ear wire - which then sells out - but another customer will purchase the same item with the second ear wires still available. This can cause order delays and lots of confusion!

Is there any app or even any way within Shopify to have both variants go down at the same rate, or for a product to go completely out of stock if one variant reaches zero? 

I also have two products that are the exact same, however one has the proceeds go to charity. This is the same sort of issue; where I only have a certain amount of product available but have to double the amount to have it on both product listings. Is there a way to have two products' inventories synced so the stock goes down on both items when an order is made? I have bundles available as well that I had to take down because it was too confusing and time consuming to update their stock to match so that I wouldn't sell out of an item I didn't have!

I wasn't sure if there was any app for syncing inventory within one shop - all the ones I see are for syncing with a dropshipping website!

Thank you so much in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
143 7 25

Hello, there!

Thanks for your post. My name is Ren from the Shopify support team, hoping to help you out here a bit.

i just wanted to start by saying that I think it's so wonderful that you send proceeds to charity with one of your products!

It sounds like you would benefit from the use of a Product/Variant options app. This means that instead of using the native variants to produce the two wire options for 1 product, you'll actually just have the product as a stand-alone (no variants) and use an app to allow customers to select their wire preference.

This can be in the form of a checkbox, drop-down list or text input field as well. We have a handful of product option apps available, though Infinite Product Options in particular boasts a free plan which might just suit your needs without costing anything extra.

Another option to consider - one that may be useful for your second request as well - is an app called Connected Inventory. Connected inventory works like a bundles app, but also gives the option to simple connect the inventory of 2 products when used to sell variations (such as jewellery) that consume the same physical quantity.

They also offer to connect with merchants prior to making the app purchase to work with you and make sure the app is a good fit for your business needs. The cost to use this one is $8.99/month.

I'm curious, when taking your charity proceeds into consideration, how did you come up with your pricing strategy? Just in case you weren't aware, we do have some really great app integrations designed for simplifying donations/charity contributions.

I hope I've been able to help! Don't hesitate to reach out any time for a hand.

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Explorer
59 0 22

@chloevdb Trunk can help you keep your inventory synced in real-time within your own shop!

Trunk goes by SKUs so any products that share the same SKU within your store can have their inventory synced to each other (e.g. purchases, manual stock changes, etc). So for your use-case, you just need to give your earrings the same SKU. This also applies to the product for retail and charity 👍

For your bundles, Trunk can also help with that with its bundles/kitting feature. You can read more about that here:https://help.trunkinventory.com/articles/2217275-creating-smart-bundles-and-kits

Trunk's website to learn more: https://www.trunkinventory.com

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns, I'm the founder and developer!

⚡Sync inventory + bundles/kitting in real-time between Shopify, Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire, Squarespace, Square with Trunk @ trunkinventory.com
1 Like