Take payment/Mark as paid via POS

Solved
patrickgruetter
Tourist
11 0 0
Hello dear Experts!

Does anyone know if it‘s possible to create a draft order within Shopify, but „take payment“ or „mark as paid“ via the POS app?

Our employee couldn‘t track the payment through the POS app, only via Shopify. We often get orders or to be paid in the local store. So, our employee couldn‘t mark the order as paid via the POS app since the feature was nowhere to be found. On the Shopify app it worked.

Thanks and best regards,
Patrick

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hello, @patrickgruetter.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you’re looking for a way to mark an order as paid or to be paid in-store on Shopify POS. You can create an order with Shopify POS and mark it as unpaid, which allows you to collect the payment from the customer in-store. However, you wouldn’t be able to create an order on Shopify POS and mark it as paid, as that would be similar to taking cash payment for the order. Marking a draft order as paid in the admin or through the Shopify app is typically used when the payment is collected through an alternate payment (eg. bank deposit, cheque, etc.). There is also a difference in the credit card processing fees between online sales and in-person sales, with in-person transactions having lower fees - so collecting payment in-store is recommended. That said, since you are able to create orders and collect the payment in-store, is there a reason you’d need to mark a POS order as paid?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

patrickgruetter
Tourist
11 0 0
Hey Elias,
Thank you very much for your reply!

The reason is mainly due to privacy. The CEO would like to keep the employees out of the analytics and other numbers. I believe (from experience) if a staff has not the „full rights“ he can‘t use the POS - so we can‘t give them less rights.

Any idea?

Thank you and best regards,
Patrick
0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @patrickgruetter .

Thank you for the follow-up, Patrick. I understand the CEO would like to keep the employees out of the analytics and other numbers, which makes sense. 

There are two types of staff accounts on Shopify, an admin staff account and POS-only staff. You are absolutely correct that the admin staff accounts will need full access to use the POS. Furthermore, based on your plan, there is a limit on how many admin staff accounts you can create. 

That being said, if your store is on the Shopify plan or higher, you can create POS-only staff. POS-staff only accounts won't be able to get access to the admin. It’s important to note that an admin staff with full access will need to log into the POS initially, then the POS-only staff can begin their register shift and login using their PIN. POS-staff can access the unpaid orders created on POS and they'll be able to help collect the payment in-store. Though POS-only staff aren't able to access the analytics, they can still see the sales total for their shift on the POS. 

Let me know if this helps! If you have any other questions on POS-staff, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Stephen34
Shopify Partner
59 1 80

I have a issue with this as well. We offer layaway on our website and use the app Deferpay to process payments until the order is paid. However we have customers who place their layaway online then come in the store with cash wanting to make a payment. We have no way to do that with cash and end up just having to make a note in the order of a cash payment that was made and HOPE we notice it later when its time to give them their balance to pay it off. We have messed this up many times. We strive to make the store and website to feel seemless to the customer, we actually use the front end of website to show things to customers in store, offer in store pickup, and really work to make the online feel like its just like shopping in the store. This partial payment issue is the only real hiccup we have that does not make it seemless and has caused our customers to have bad experiences.

Here is what we need....from the POS you can see the orders and open balances, we just need the ability to make payments on those online orders from within the POS and them mark as paid/fulfilled.  Being able to process unpaid orders from either place (online or pos) and take partial payments against them from either place (online or pos) is what we are looking for. We process several hundred orders like this per year so its a big issue, I have actually started shopping for other solutions just because of this.