The ReCharge App Has Disappeared from the App Store?

hogify
Tourist
8 0 2

I just uninstalled ReCharge (intending to reinstall it) as I was updating my theme and needed the modifications in the updated theme.

ReCharge is no longer on the app store, where has it gone and why? How can I get it back?

Replies 12 (12)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @hogify.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out!

There are a few changes with subscription apps, as we prepare for the roll out of Shopify Subscriptions. As such, ReCharge and a few other subscription apps won't be appearing in the search results; however, you can download the new version of their app here - Recharge Subscription. It's important to note that the new version requires Shopify Payments, and isn't compatible with custom Plus checkout or Shopify Scripts at this time. If you need any help with setting up the new ReCharge app, you can always reach out to the developer directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

That said, if you're interested in Shopify Subscriptions, you can find our set instructions and eligibility requirements here: Setting up subscriptions. Or, if you'd like to explore some other subscription apps, we have a filtered list of them here.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

econugenics1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Elias,

We are currently using the original Bold Subscriptions app (still on a separate checkout than Shopify), and are considering moving to Recharge, since we are unable to migrate to the newer version of Bold Subscriptions that uses Shopify payments, and the app developer has not provided a clear timeline for when. As I'm sure you know, having two separate checkouts is not ideal from a reporting standpoint, or any way you look at it.

My question to you is, if we were to install Recharge, would we:

A) be able to transfer our existing recurring orders from Bold

B) be able to use Shopify Payments as our Gateway, even if we are restricted to non-Stripe gateways due to our industry? We currently use Paypal PayFlow Pro.

Thanks,

Logan

jmargitn
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi @Elias!

Thanks for all of this information! I'm curious when Shopify Subscriptions will actually be available — we are in the middle of a build and would ideally like to use this from the beginning of the project, however, if Shopify Subscriptions is still weeks or months away from being available, we'll need to use ReCharge or another app. 

Thank you!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @jmargitn.

Thank you for joining this thread!

Shopify Subscription is available already. However, to clarify, it's an integration that allows third-party subscription apps to process payments directly on Shopify Checkout using our new Subscription APIs. If you'd like to learn more about this, you can check out our changelog and our guide on setting up subscriptions for your store. That being said, ReCharge has updated their app with our new Subscription APIs, so you can integrate their app with your store. This way, your customers can experience the seamless checkout experience on Shopify.  

The following subscription apps works with Shopify Checkout:

- Bold Subscriptions
- ReCharge Subscriptions
- PayWhirl Recurring Payments
- Ordergroove Subscriptions (Currently unlisted)

If you need any assistance with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages.

Were you using ReCharge before this or a different subscription app?

eugenesochbc
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Elias,

I can't seem to find the Shopify Subscription app...

The only apps I can see are the Bold Subscriptions or Pay Whirl... 😞

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hi, @eugenesochbc.

Welcome to the thread! 

Just to clarify, Shopify Subscription is an application programming interface (API) that allows developers for subscription apps to check out directly on Shopify Checkout. Though there isn't a Shopify app for this, the Subscription API allows these apps to give customers a seamless checkout experience as opposed to checking out externally. That said, we also have a guide to help with setting up subscriptions for your store. If you'd like to learn more about our new Subscription APIs, more information can be found in the thread. 

The following third-party apps have been updated with our Subscription APIs:

- Bold Subscriptions
- ReCharge Subscriptions
- PayWhirl Recurring Payments
- Ordergroove Subscriptions (Currently unlisted)

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

romzer
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, @Elias.

I used your link to download the new version of Recharge (https://apps.shopify.com/subscription-payments?utm_campaign=Guru+Ask&utm_medium=Forums&utm_source=so...) but it says "Sorry, Shopify says your store is ineligible for subscriptions.". Indeed, i think Shopify Payments is not available in my country (France) but i very need this app asap, can you help me to understand what is going on ? I read all topics about the new Recharge version and Shopify Subscriptions and Payments but i'm confused... Can you give me a solution for my case ?

Thank you !

tonymcfly
Visitor
1 0 0

Same for me, I want to use Recharge but they say "Sorry, Shopify says your store is ineligible for subscriptions" and my country France is not available for shopify payment........................

So I can't use subscription on my store ??????

How can I setup subscription without shopify payment please ????

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @romzer@hogify, & @tonymcfly.

Thank you for taking to the time to share your concerns with me. I understand how frustrating it can be with this transition and and I'd be happy to share some details for the plans on our roadmap. 

Though the Subscriptions API only supports Shopify Payments at the moment, we will be working on integrating more payment gateways over the coming quarters. We have plans to work with gateways, such as PayPal Express, Authorize.net, and Stripe, for regions not supported by Shopify Payments. Wallets, such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Shop Pay, are also on the roadmap for 2021.

Stores on Shopify Plus can upgrade their custom checkout to access the Subscription API, and Plus merchants can reach out to our Support team to request the upgrade. We're anticipating support for Shopify Scripts in Q1 of 2021 as well.   

As for the changes with ReCharge's billing structure, this isn't something that's decided by Shopify. You'll need to reach out to ReCharge directly on this; however, I can see their new pricing on their website. If you're ineligible to use ReCharge, you can check with to ReCharge on whether they have a timeline for when they'll be available in your region. Or, you can use one of the third-party subscription apps that doesn't require Shopify Payments in the meantime, like AAA Membership + Subscription

I hope this helps address some of the concerns. If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

ThibaultMM
Visitor
1 0 0

I find it unbelievable that Shopify launched this API with only Shopify Payment supported, knowing that a lot of countries don't have access to it...

I was suppose to launch 3 stores with reCharge this month, now I'll have to explain to my customers why I'll have to install some low quality app instead...

I really hope that the new API will open to other payment providers soon!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @ThibaultMM.

We appreciate your interest in our Subscription API and, rest assured, we hear you! 

Though we can't guarantee when or which payment gateways will be available at the moment; however, we are always looking to improve, and features like this are often built with growth in mind. Integration with more payment providers is on our roadmap for 2021, and when it's available - You can find it on our changelog and announcements page. That being said, we'd also be happy to share any feedback you have with our developers for considerations. 

Which payment provider(s) are you or your clients using? 

hogify
Tourist
8 0 2

So you are forcing users and developers to use your new Shopify payments integrated version, yet in your own words isn't compatible with a lot of stuff "and isn't compatible with custom Plus checkout or Shopify Scripts at this time". Plus it appears you don't support all countries yet?

Shouldn't you get it fully working before you force this on people? This seems like a bad decission on Shopify's part to force a half baked Shopify payments solution on its users.

Plus the new version of ReCharge appears to be 60$ a month, which is a lot considering it was free before. You are killing the ability for small or new businesses to run subscription based services on Shopify.