Trial for Recurring Charges Payments

1 0 0

My goal is to offer a 14 day trial, then charge a card immediately. 

My current flow creates RecurringApplicationCharge then activates it on a 14 day trial. 

Now that 14 day has passed, and I don't see any charges. 

So I'm confused what happens is that the invoice is generated according to the user's billing cycle. So if they are invoiced on the first of each month, if they installed the app on Jan 2, then they get 14 days before it shows up on Feb 2 invoice to pay. 

Would this then delay developers getting paid? 

What if the Shop decides to uninstall the app and then reinstall before the invoice, they could effectively get an app for free?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
92 8 15

Hey, @P1Apps 

Thanks for reaching out today! App billing cycles differ from the regular subscription cycle as they begin on the date the app becomes active in the store. In your case, it would be after the app trial is up. App charges become pending payables on a merchant's account which accumulate until the merchant's next subscription billing date. To stop merchants from receiving multiple charges during the month we just bill one time for all extra charges such as apps, transaction or shipping fees. These fees accumulate as pending charges during the month and we bill them for those on the next subscription invoice.

In your invoicing example, the merchant would still be charged for the app even if they uninstalled it before the February 1st invoice date. Because it was active for the month of January. You can learn more about how Shopify billing works here. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes