Unable to reconnect Facebook page

Tourist
3 0 2

At one point, we had Facebook enabled as a sales channel before it was disconnected. Now, I'm unable to reconnect the Facebook page. I get as far as adding the Facebook sales channel and being taken to Shopify's Facebook sales channel page. I can click "Reconnect account" and go through the pop-up Facebook UX flow. I sign into my Facebook account, the page shows up correctly in the pop-up, and I'm able to log into Facebook with 2FA and complete the connection on Facebook's end. But when the Shopify sales channel page reloads, I am told that I can't reconnect the page after all.

The error I get is, "Your Facebook account doesn't have admin access to the chosen page. Log in with the Facebook account that has admin access and try again. If you no longer have access to the current page, you can connect another page."

Problem is, I do have admin access through the Facebook account I'm using. Despite the error on Shopify's end, a Shopify integration tile appears in my Facebook account. I've tried removing the Facebook channel on Shopify, deleting this integration on Facebook's end and then re-reconnecting via Shopify. I've tried removing Facebook page admin access to my Facebook account and re-enabling it. I've tried different browsers. I've also tried connecting via another Facebook account that also has admin access to my company's Facebook page. Shopify just refuses to recognize that we have admin access to our own Facebook page.

I've had a support ticket (11933719) open with Shopify Support since Feb. 2 and have gone over 7 weeks with no resolution or meaningful updates. Facebook is our most important sales channel, so not having it is a dealbreaker for us. We've had to begin re-development on WordPress/WooCommerce. Has anyone else encountered similar issues? Have they been able to resolve it?

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 3

It appears Shopify doesn't care. I have sent multiple emails and no response. We'd like to connect to Instagram as well, and apparently Instagram uses the Facebook product groups, so it's unclear what's going on or how to address this.

2 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

We found a workaround that uses the Facebook pixel. It takes some effort, but it's still mostly automated. Worth it if IG tagging is a high priority. Deep breath now:

1. In Facebook Events Manager: Create a Facebook pixel. Then in Shopify: and the pixel ID to your Shopify store under Online Store > Preferences. You'll need to set up a free Facebook business account if you haven't already. Shopify's tutorial was reasonably helpful: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/analyze-marketing/facebook-pixel

2. Create a Catalog in Facebook Business Manager and connect it to Instagram:

• Go to https://business.facebook.com/home/
  • Click the hamburger and find Catalogs
  • Create a new Catalog and click Product Data Sources on the left
  • Select your pixel as the product data source
  • Click Event Data Sources on the left and if your pixel doesn't already appear, add it
  • Click Settings on the left and check that your Catalog is connected to both your Facebook Shop and your Instagram Business Profile (Instagram Shopping approval takes a few days... I think it's mainly to confirm that you're only selling a physical product).

3. The Facebook pixel has to fire to transmit your product info to Facebook/Instagram. So to add your Shopify site's products to FB/IG, navigate through your site and view each variety of each product on your site. It took 15 minutes for our products to show up in the FB Catalog after we triggered the pixel. From there, we could edit certain FB Catalog fields independently to customize how the product appears on FB and Instagram.

4. Once the pixel picks up your products and they become visible in your Facebook Catalog, you have the option to sort them into Product Sets using logic or manually. While in the Facebook Catalog window, click "Product Sets" on the left to do this. Product Sets will carry through to your Facebook Shop.

5. Still in your Facebook Catalog: If you want your IG tags to link to your Shopify store product pages (as opposed to using Facebook's checkout UI), click into each product and verify that "WEBSITE LINK" has the appropriate product page URL and not a Facebook URL. You may have to edit and replace each product's link. This setting carries through to IG tags and determines whether IG users are directed from a product tag to your Facebook Shop, or to your Shopify product page. We prefer the latter as it provides opportunities for newsletter signup and all the other nice automations we have running in Shopify (review follow-up, automated fulfillment, easier returns processing, etc.).

Downsides to this approach:

• FB inventory tracking appears to be limited to in stock/out of stock. No quantity tracking. We just entered a fraction of available inventory for each product to make it appear as in-stock in Facebook and Instagram.
  • The pixel only imports your first 3 product images into the Facebook Catalog listing. If you want more images, you have to add them, but you can't do this in the Facebook Catalog UI. You have to navigate to your Shop page. And I don't know if those extra images you add will be deleted when your pixel triggers for that product again.
  • I have yet to test this, but I think price changes you make in Shopify won't reflect in Facebook/IG tags until you or a user triggers the pixel by viewing the product on your site. Just an extra step to keep in mind when you tweak products. The same probably goes for any other product changes.
  • We've been troubleshooting product-level event reporting (view/add to cart/checkout website behavior) for over a week and just can't get it to work. The Facebook pixel reports a different, fake product ID for product events, versus what it reported to add the product to the Product Catalog in the first place, and Facebook can't match them up. This is only important if you want to retarget Facebook users with product-specific ads. We're going to make do without it and save product retargeting for Google Ads (the Google Analytics pixel actually works as advertised).

After this debacle, I can say that Facebook is, from a UX perspective, an overly complex, steaming pile of garbage. You have to go through 4 completely different UIs within Facebook's platform just to set up a Facebook Shop with user permissions and linked products. That's before you even get to audience tracking. I think the Facebook/IG Shopify app failure lasting so long might be less a function of Shopify not caring, and more a function of incompetence (the engineers at Facebook being completely unable to wrap their heads around their own platform).

1 Like

So, still no easy way to connect to Facebook?

That is a shame, I truly believe that should be made a priority. The method above is not the easiest, especially for people who are not very tech-savvy.

2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 3
And it doesn't work. Nor does the suggestion offered by their tech support.
1 Like

What was the suggestion made? Can you share by any chance?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 3
Here's what Shopify suggested. It did not work for me.

At this time we do not have the ability to see why a Facebook Shop was
disconnected. We simply see the disconnect. This sometimes can happen due to
password changes, admin updates or other changes directly to your Facebook
page. When a page disconnects the reason for this is usually something to do
with Facebook themselves.

One workaround to help prevent this is to actually connect your Facebook
Sales Channel directly from the Shopify app on Mobile. We have noticed that
online stores which set up the Facebook Sales Channel via the Shopify app on
mobile rather than directly from the admin have fewer reports of
disconnection from the FB sales channel.

It usually takes up to 48 hours for Facebooks bot to review your products
for inclusion as a sellable item on their platform. As your store has been
disconnected on a few occasions I can only assume that something is stuck
within the connection itself, I know some merchants experience this when
they connect the channel then disconnect it without waiting for the review
to complete on Facebook's end. What I would suggest in that situation would
be to disconnect the channel once again, then on Facebook sign out of your
Facebook page, then clear the browsing history on your internet browser
including cached data from the beginning of time. Then log back in as normal
and connect the account once again but this time connect the Facebook Sales
Channel through the Shopify app on your mobile phone.

This should help resolve any of the connection issues which you are
experiencing at this time.

Hopefully, this answered your questions and you are happy with how I have
helped you out today. If you have any further queries or need anything else
at all, please don't hesitate to contact us here in support
. We're open 24/7!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

We were given similar advice @GGFY . Even walked through the steps with Shopify Support via chat.

The other thing Shopify Support had us try was uninstalling the Shopify and Shopify IG apps from the Facebook account administering our business's page/store. Of course, this is done in yet another Facebook interface, outside of Business Manager/Shop Manager/Events Manager: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications&section=active

So our (failed) troubleshooting process looked like this:

1. Uninstall FB and IG apps in Shopify. Confirm that they have been removed as sales channels.

2. Remove Shopify and Shopify IG apps from Facebook using the link above.

3. Log out of both platforms. Clear browser history/cache/cookies.

4. Log into Shopify and add Facebook via Manage Sales Channels.

5. Still in Shopify, connect the Facebook account (this is where something didn't work as intended. Support was surprised to hear that I was still seeing "Reconnect account" instead of "Connect..."). If this works, you can then add the Instagram Sales Channel the same way.

Again, this didn't work for us. Facebook Pixel is the only way I have found to automatically feed Shopify products to Facebook/IG catalogs and make them available for product tagging.

0 Likes
1 0 0

If someone has same problem, I have a solution. Work for me. Go to your setting shopify, Sales Channels, and delete facebook.

Wait five minutes and refresh, go to add sales channel and add your facebook. Work for me. Sorry for my basic english, I'm french. Good sales guys

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 3
Your English is great. Thanks for responding.
0 Likes