[Update] Here's why Mailchimp is no longer in the Shopify App Store

2 0 7
Mailchimp Statement on Shopify Partnership

Yesterday, we asked Shopify to remove the Mailchimp for Shopify integration from their marketplace. We made this decision because Shopify released updated terms that would negatively impact our business and put our users at risk.

We also asked Shopify to leave the integration on for existing connected users through May 12, when the data sharing provisions of Shopify’s new terms take effect. We’re hopeful that Shopify will work with us to make this transition as smooth as possible for our shared users.

For months, we’ve been trying to work with Shopify on terms that would be fair and equitable for both of our businesses. Throughout these negotiations, we refused to agree to terms that jeopardize our users’ privacy and require us to hand over customer data acquired outside of Shopify. From our perspective, that's not our data to share.

The new terms also make it clear that Shopify wants to control which providers their partners work with and how they conduct their business. We believe small businesses are best served when they can choose which technology they use to run their businesses, which is why Mailchimp integrates with more than 150 different apps and platforms. We won't compromise on that just because Shopify sees it as a competitive threat.

Even though our native integration will no longer be available, our customers can choose from several third-party integrations to connect their accounts. We have a comprehensive set of resources available, including manual workarounds and a directory of experts for users with more complex needs.

We’re disappointed that we weren’t able to continue our partnership with Shopify, but our customers are our top priority.

5 Likes
Tourist
6 0 8

@brianbr wrote:

https://zapier.com/apps/shopify/integrations/mailchimp

at additional cost per month :/

2 Likes
Tourist
8 0 9

"Shopify has had growing concerns about Mailchimp’s app because of the poor merchant experience"

This is a blatant lie.  No one has been clamoring on the shopify forums about a "poor merchant experience" with Mailchimp.  The merchant experience was just fine, thanks.

I don't use the word "lie" lightly.  Feel free to explain otherwise, but I see no possible other explanation here.

When the first sentence of your explanation is an obvious lie, it's hard to take any of the rest of it seriously.

9 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 21

"Shopify has had growing concerns about Mailchimp’s app because of the poor merchant experience"

This is a blatant lie.  No one has been clamoring on the shopify forums about a "poor merchant experience" with Mailchimp.  The merchant experience was just fine, thanks.

I don't use the word "lie" lightly.  Feel free to explain otherwise, but I see no possible other explanation here.

When the first sentence of your explanation is an obvious lie, it's hard to take any of the rest of it seriously.

-

Completely agree. Shopify you greedy pigs. Hang your heads in shame.

WordPress here we come, a much, much better alternative in every way.

I seriously recommend to every other business owner to stay clear of Shopify when moving to ecommerce, it was a huge mistake using Shopify for my business and will be binning this trash for WordPress next month.

Thanks MailChimp for not standing for their greed anymore and being the instigator for change.

5 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 8
I have to tell you that this is a big deal to our business and we hope you can do something to bring back MailChimp integration.

Mailchimp is a core part of our business and one of the reasons we started using Shopify to run a business.

Really disappointed in this decision. 

5 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 17
@Leila_Haikonen

My understanding – though I’ve asked @Shopify for clarification here – is that only the Mailchimp APP has been removed. There are plenty of other marketing apps that will sync your data with Mailchimp – many of them are trolling…er…helpfully offering their solutions right here in this thread. 😊
4 Likes
1 0 0

Mailchimp is recommending shopsync 

0 Likes
2 0 7

WordPress here we come, a much, much better alternative in every way

I seriously recommend to every other business owner to stay clear of Shopify when moving to ecommerce, it was a huge mistake using Shopify for my business and will be binning this trash for WordPress next month.

If you can make a credible case for wordpress over shopify, I'd love to hear it. 

While this is obviously a disappointing development, overall I'd say this hysterical response is akin to all the people who said they'd move to Canada if Trump won. 

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 21

@jar68 

Do 15mins of research and you will find plenty.

Some examples:

• Customisability of ecommerce options without having to subscribe to 3+ different apps on a monthly fee, for example, editing orders or customer details, product variants, etc
  • Want to add a plugin function? Usually a good free option or a ONE TIME small fee, not ongoing subscription fees.
  • Significantly larger selection of higher quality plugins/addons with ability to edit or change each as you wish.
  • Ability to edit and make changes to the core CMS
  • Not having to rely on the worst customer experience I've legit had to deal with when you realise the core of Shopify is not functioning properly. (I am currently pending dev/support response on fixing core issues that are creating issue with my business that Shopify have acknowledged)

Secondly, there is nothing hysterical about my response at all, I've had enough trouble to make the decision to leave Shopify and have begun production on my WordPress site that my business will be moving to, its just not something that can happen overnight and unfortunately I have another month or so of work ahead of me to make the transition complete.

Your analogy of leaving to Canada if Trump won says a lot of about your lack of ability to understand the real issues with Shopify in general. MailChimp leaving should be an eye opener for many to how business is really conducted.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 10

Some really helpful details about the Partner Agreement changes and kind of data that needs to be sync'd can be found here: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/storing-customer-data

1 Like