[Update] Here's why Mailchimp is no longer in the Shopify App Store

Excursionist
12 0 6

We’re writing to let you know that yesterday afternoon, we asked Shopify to remove the Mailchimp for Shopify integration from their marketplace. We made this decision because Shopify released updated terms that would negatively impact our business and put our customers at risk.

We’ve also asked Shopify to leave the integration on for people who are already using it through May 12, when the data sharing provisions of Shopify’s new terms take effect. We’re hopeful that Shopify will work with us to make this transition as smooth as possible for our shared users. 

For information on why we’re phasing out the integration, read our public statement.

We’ve put together a comprehensive set of resources to help with this transition, including several third-party integrations to connect your Mailchimp account to Shopify. Once you’ve chosen the integration that works best for your needs and followed the installation instructions, your accounts should be connected and begin syncing as usual.

We’re thankful that you’ve chosen Mailchimp, and we want you to know that we did not make this decision lightly. We hope the resources we’ve provided are helpful and will minimize the inconvenience caused by this change. 

– Mailchimp

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 1
Thank you very much to come out to help not only merchants but any member of Shopify.
Mark Opoka
Partner
1 Like
1 0 0

I've been using Springbot since 2017. We've had some pretty great results, and they've come a long way since I partnered with them as they are constantly adding more and more useful features. They listen to their merchants and have really looked into several suggestions I've made. So, there's a recommendation for y'all! My site is www.CristyCali.com incase anyone would like to see my pop ups, etc. 

0 Likes
2 0 7

@LukaszWiktor , thanks for the recommendation to ShopSync.  After one week with them, I am seeing about 2/3rds of my new subscribers NOT sync from Shopify to my Mailchimp account.  When I contacted ShopSync's team their response is "we're seeing some compliance-related errors coming from their [Mailchimp's] API."  Their response is that I need to contact the Mailchimp team to sort the matter.  All I want to do is sync my new subscribers.  Now I am caught in a cat-n-mouse.  As an entrepreneur of a very small shop, I just don't have time to chase down the matter with Mailchimp.  Just posting this as an FYI from a person with some experience trying one of the officially recommended tools as we all try to sort through this transition.

2 Likes

@Owens310, sorry to hear that ShopSync doesn't work as expected. Their response is quite vague, but I can also imagine that they are quite busy now. I have an assumption about what might be the cause of missing subscribers. At least I managed to solve a similar problem in my app when Mailchimp's API was rejecting some of the requests to add new subscribers.

If the only thing you need is to sync your subscribers, then Personal Discount could help you. My app's primary goal is to generate unique discount codes, but you don't have to publish them. As a side effect, you will get your subscribers synced to Mailchimp. How many subscribers do you get per month? If less than 50 then you can use my app for free. And if you need more, then I believe the pricing is also quite affordable. Anyway, I don't want to exploit the situation. I really want to help. I'm even considering creating a separate app that would just sync subscribers between Shopify and Mailchimp.

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 8
This really is cat n mouse. Small businesses like us do not have time,
resources, nor dollars to devote to this. It is incredibly frustrating!
What can we do?
3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 10

If you don't want us to use Mailchimp, why do the suggestions on how to reduce abandoned carts send me to Mailchimp?

I am very disappointed about this. The integration with Mailchimp was one of the factors in deciding to switch from Easy Digital Downloads to Shopify.

1 Like
2 0 2

Guys, I think you should consider other tools. I think you will pay a similar or slightly higher price compared to Mailchimp. But if you will choose a tool which is created for ecommerce,  you will definitely increase your profit as well. As these workarounds won't be that effective.

1 Like
Excursionist
29 0 10

If you’re using the Mailchimp plan that is free, fewer than 2,000 subscribers, it’s hard to beat the price.

5 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 1

I am so irritated, disappointed and frustrated with this cutting of ties between Shopify and MailChimp.  I am a very small business by choice, not everyone wants to be big. I chose MailChimp because of the service being free, and I chose Shopify, in part because of their integration with MailChimp.  Now I'm spending hours exploring not only my mailing list/newsletter options, but website platform options, as well. Come on, Shopify, work this out!

1 Like