[Update] Here's why Mailchimp is no longer in the Shopify App Store

Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
242 8 24

Hi, @Walter_Manning.

We understand and appreciate that email marketing is an integral part of your marketing initiatives. If you are looking for alternative options, we offer a wide variety of email marketing apps that can be found in the Shopify App Store.

Freddie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 22

Thanks. I'm aware of that. I'm aware that there is a ton of options there that will take me a few hours to go through. I'm also aware of the ton of apps trying to sell me right here in this thread. 

Hoping someone who is an actual shopify vendor can offer a solution so I don't have to waste time setting something else up when I already have something that works. I wear enough hats already. 

Simple automated list generation is all I require. 

12 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Such sad news but I recently switched over to Flashyapp.com for better features and automation - but more importantly they transferred all my data, customers, reports, etc quickly.

https://apps.shopify.com/flashyapp-marketing-automation

1 Like
6 0 0

ShippingEasy is a great solution that does Shipping AND Marketing.  They have amazing customer service and are very affordable.  Also, Shopify has a direct integration with them so the process is seamless.  Oh, and you get your first 30 days for FREE!

0 Likes

@Walter_Manning wrote:

Hoping someone who is an actual shopify vendor can offer a solution so I don't have to waste time setting something else up when I already have something that works. I wear enough hats already. 

Simple automated list generation is all I require. 

@Walter_Manning Looks like ShopSync can do the job. It's a free app, and Mailchimp listed it as an alternative in their official post:

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
2 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 12

Oh well the spam for ShippingEasy lets me know where not to go:-)

5 Likes
Tourist
3 0 6

MailChimp offered really good email marketing service for Shopify users - reliable and easy to use. Sad that this partnership was stopped. That's a real hassle to move everything to a different provider. Anyone looking for a quick solution and easy way to switch could try using a very similar free alternative to MailChimp in terms of UX and features - MailerLitehttps://apps.shopify.com/mailerlite-email-marketing , otherwise we'd need to find a way use a third party tool like Zapier to get back MailChimp integration in use, which is quite costly as it needs to be paid for at least two tools to have email marketing integration going.

6 Likes
1 0 2

Totally agree with Shopify here, even after reading Mailchimp's take on it. The merchant should have access to this data. Especially when trying to strategize and optimize their lists. Mailchimp has never been ideal for direct to consumer brands. It was a nice entry point, but it was very limited. I recommend Klaviyo. It's been a game changer for us and the sales we've seen reflects that.

2 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 22

Thanks for that Lukas.  I actually just found the app  and was coming here to suggest it to others. Problem solved. 

https://shopsync.io

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 10

"Over the past 18 months, Shopify has had growing concerns about Mailchimp’s app because of the poor merchant experience and their refusal to respect our Partner Program Agreement."

This sounds kind of ridiculous because MailChimp has a rating of 4.1 stars with 1,147 votes.

"Our terms require app partners to share all important data back to the merchant using Shopify’s API to help them run their businesses.

It’s critical for our merchants to have accurate, complete insight into their businesses and customers, and this isn’t possible when Mailchimp locks in their data. Specifically, Mailchimp refuses to synchronize customer information captured on merchants’ online stores and email opt-out preferences. As a result, our merchants, other apps, and partner ecosystem can’t reliably serve their customers or comply with privacy legislation."

This sound like Shopify is trying to sell merchants' data to other third-party apps and get back more data than it needs.  I'm a little suspicious with Shopify's real intention since MailChimp partnered with Square recently.  This puts MailChimp in direct competition with Shopify.   In addition, MailChimp said that Shopify is asking for past data in the statement from TechCrunch here.

"She also told me that Shopify specifically asked for pretty much any data Mailchimp collects about its users, including data it collected in the past since the app was installed. “We had no way of getting that consent from our users retroactively,” Deus noted"

For me, this raises the question of whether Shopify wants to spy on Square when it comes to merchant who made sales and obtain customers through the Mailchimp and Square partnership.  Facebook is notorious for spying and gathering their competitors' data and I'm pretty sure Shopify is trying to do the same.  With all of Facebook's data sharing controversies, I'm becoming more suspicious of any company asking for past data and data not obtained through their service.  

10 Likes