[Update] Here's why Mailchimp is no longer in the Shopify App Store

Shopify Partner
5 0 10

For those interested, mailchimp is building its own (light) eCommerce platform.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/27/before-breaking-up-with-shopify-mailchimp-quietly-acqui-hired-lemo...

I'm not familiar with LemonStand, just pointing out the news as it is somewhat related (although MailChimp says its unrelated)

0 Likes
2 0 5

I'm not sure about the terminology, and I don't think I need to be, because as others have said, I'm a business owner and I rely on my email marketing app to comply with the law. Part of what I pay them for.

Here's an example of the problem with Mailchimp: recently I had a problem with my pop up on their app. Spoke with Mailchimp support, and they said to just uninstall and reinstall the app and the problem would be fixed. I asked whether any further action was required on my part to return everything to exactly the way it was before I uninstalled/reinstalled, they said no.

Result: 3000 customers who did not opt out of email marketing BEFORE I HAD A MAILING LIST were imported from Shopify and added to my subscribers and received my next marketing email. That is a hell of a lot of spam reports, these were people who bought something from me in like 2014.

Spoke to Maichimp support about it and their response was basically "sucks for you, our ass is covered".

This would not have happened if they synced the data back to Shopify.

Hope this helps

3 Likes
1 0 0

Hey Walter,

You could try Zoho Flow to integrate Shopify and MailChimp.

In fact, there's a prebuilt integration that you can use right away. Check it out here: https://www.zoho.com/flow/apps/shopify/integrations/

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 16

Data sharing is a difficult issue, but it's certainly not going to go away.  For those struggling to understand, Shopify wants to be the business owner's one-stop shop, their hub of all ecommerce information so that the business owner never needs to go outside their Shopify site.  If all apps sync all their data back to Shopify, then Shopify becomes the command center from which the business owner can see all their data flowing and integrating harmoniously.  Not only is that convenient for the shop owners, it makes good business sense for Shopify - the more integrated we become with Shopify at the center of it all, the harder it is to leave.  And because most small business owners are not tech-heads that love to dive into the nitty gritty of integrations, Shopify wants it all to be automatic - "let us do it for you."

From Mailchimp's perspective, it's more of an opt-in vs opt-out argument.  This is central to their business as an email marketing platform and staying on the right side of privacy laws that are getting more and more assertive (ahem, GDPR).  The concept of assuming that anyone is automatically OK with being subscribed to a mailing list, to having their purchase history shared with multiple companies, to having their data passed around back and forth...this concept has gone by the wayside.  People now need to opt IN to these sorts of data-sharing agreements.  

Shopify: "Trust us, all the merchants are ok with you sharing all the data with us so we can show it to them."

Mailchimp: "We'll keep Shopify updated on any changes to data that comes FROM Shopify, but we aren't going to automatically feed you all the data from all the places.  That's not our decision to make."

Shopify:  "Then you can't play in our playground."

Mailchimp:  "Fine."

Shopify:  "Fine!"

Mailchimp:  "FINE!"

Merchants Everywhere:  ARE YOU GUYS FREAKING KIDDING ME????

Shopify:  "Erm...slight policy change.  We no longer require automatic sync'ing of all the data from all the places. So if you have some ethical/philosophical/policy hangups that prevent that, fine.  BUT, you need to provide a way for merchants to opt-in and manually sync that data back to Shopify if they so desire.   Your move, Mailchimp.

Mailchimp:  ".....????"

4 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 16

@gittitsz  - That situation sucks.  But, FYI, Mailchimp sync'ing data back to Shopify would not have helped you.  As you said, those 300 customers were from "before you had a mailing list",   i.e. before you had Mailchimp.  Thus, Mailchimp knew nothing about them.  Mailchimp literally had no data on those customers to sync back to Shopify.

In fact, comprehensive data sharing is what caused your problem.  In order to make things super easy for merchants, certain assumptions have to be made.  The assumption here was, if a customer hasn't opted out, they must be a subscriber.  Your 3000 historical customers didn't have anything to opt out of, therefore they didn't opt out.  Because Shopify sync'ed all that historical data with Mailchimp when you reinstalled the app, those old customers got added to your list with no opt-out flag.  

To be sure, Mailchimp support did you a disservice and gave you bad information.  But that's a totally separate issue.

3 Likes
2 0 1

Am finding it difficult to find a good alternative that works for Buy Button shops. From what I'm finding the options works for online stores only.

1 Like
2 0 7

I may have found a solution.

This does not involve leaving Mailchimp and all the automations that we built.  

When I wrote 6 days ago I mentioned that I was having a 60%-70% failure rate with one aspect of ShopSync in that it was not doing the simple task of moving new store subscribers to my Mailchimp list.    I was using the same Newsletter module in my theme as always.  Then, upon switching to ShopSync, my problems started.

I also reported that I had reached out to ShopSync and was told that there were “multiple API errors” involved in my synch process.  Before ShopSync, no problem.  With ShopSync, problem.

To its credit, though, all of my eCommerce data does sync when a person makes a purchase.  The problem remains with my new subscribers.

After much hoopla, I had a whack-on-the-side-of-the-head moment.  After removing the previous Mailchimp-Shopify connection, Mailchimp started having “trust” issues with the data being passed from the Shopify newsletter form.  

Solution: Replace the Shopify Newsletter subscribe form with a standard off-the-shelf Mailchimp subscribe form.

I ran a side-by-side test for the last 4 days.  Mailchimp trusted its own signup form 100% of the time with all subscribers being listed in the Subscribe status.  I can’t say the same with the ShopSync contacts, some of which came over in a non-subscribed status that could not be altered in Mailchimp.

For me, I was using a plain-vanilla Shopify newsletter subscribe form in the footer (and yes, I was actually getting a steady flow of subscribers here).  

I simply created a sign up form (Horizontal version) in Mailchimp and pasted the code into the footer.liquid file -- not the newsletter.liquid file.  

This has solved my problem.  All subscribers pass directly into Mailchimp which works just fine for me as this is my primary email marketing engine.  Please note that using this method does NOT place the new subscribers in the Customers area in Shopify.  Again, this approach works for me but may not work for you.

With regard to where I placed the code, simply edit your footer.liquid file (Online Store —> Customize —> Theme Actions —> Edit Code —> footer.liquid).

I am using plain vanilla Debut theme and here you can see where I have pasted my Mailchimp subscriber code between the two red arrows.  You need to DELETE all the code that is between these two arrows when you paste your code.  Please note that the code for your theme may be different.  

I know that the Mailchimp-Shopify breakup is a hot topic these days.  I am even starting to see ads about it pop up on Facebook with suppliers eager to jump on the situation.  Please know that I am sharing this only from the perspective that this solution works for me.  I am not a Shopify Guru/Expert and I am not for hire.  I am just doing my best to find the simplest solution and post it in hopes that it helps you.

Jason

5 Likes
1 0 0

Which App can integrate with both Shopify and ManyChat?

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 10

Was made aware of this developer offering to match Mailchimp's free subscriber level of 2000, until April 15th.

I have reached out to them to see if their free level for Shopify members includes support, which is something Mailchimp does not offer.

Does anyone have any experience with Seguno? Support satisfactory? Automation processes available? Templates? Anything?

1 Like
Excursionist
29 0 10

Did you get it figured out?

I ended up sticking with Shopify and replacing Mailchimp with Seguno. So far, so good. Not all the bells and whistles of Mailchimp but adequate so far for my needs.

I'm gonna start a thread asking what others did.

1 Like