[Update] Here's why Mailchimp is no longer in the Shopify App Store

Excursionist
14 0 6
Yes, that's what I have switched to also. Probably the best for the price.
I did my research. :)
1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 5
I spend $55 per month with Mailchimp. On the credit system you mentioned,
I’d spend over $160 per month. Big difference in price.
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 1

Yes, would not be a good fit for you and other bigger businesses.  For we tiny biz folks, it pencils out well. Honestly, I'd just as soon stay at Mailchimp. This is an unwanted and inconvenient transition.

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 10

FYI Shopify, I’m looking at alternative platforms that cost less, may not have all the apps and functionality you offer, but will allow me to keep Mailchimp. 

@Dori_H wrote:
Honestly, I'd just as soon stay at Mailchimp. This is an unwanted and inconvenient transition.

1 Like
2 0 0

TargetBay can be an alternative for MailChimp as it has deep integration with Shopify. It offers much more than just email marketing. More info here - https://targetbay.com/landing-page/switch-to-targetbay-for-your-shopify-store/

0 Likes
2 0 5

This is exactly the issue Shopify split from Mailchimp over. If Mailchimp synced your data back to you as Shopify demanded they do, you wouldn't be having this problem right now. Mailchimp put YOU in danger of violating email marketing laws by refusing to sync back. Good riddance.

2 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 10

TBH, I don't really understand what the problem is between Shopify and MailChimp, and I don't care. I just want my little shop to run well, basically on autopilot, and my little mailing list to be maintained so that I can send out the occasional newsletter. The greatest justification for switching to Shopify from Easy Digital Downloads was all the integrations, foremost among them, MailChimp. Without that I can't justify paying twice as much for the platform that I can find elsewhere. Yeah, I'll miss some of the bells and whistles I was able to add to the shop with various integrations. But the cost/benefit analysis points me in another direction.

Shopify costs me US$29.95 per month.

Indiemade will be US$12.95 per month.

MailChimp will be US$US$15.00 per month

I will wait and see if these two behemoths can work things out before the end of my Shopify billing cycle. If not, I will be switching.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 10

@gittitsz : Which email marketing laws????

I believe its up to the Merchant to decide to which platform email addresses are sync'd and when, not the eCommerce platform.

Data should be shared on a "need to know" basis, not per default and certainly not enforced!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
5 0 10

The wording in https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/storing-customer-data on which data needs to be sync'd, changed in the last couple of days.

It’s important for merchants to be able to sync and store their customer data in their Shopify admin so they can manage their business and reach their customers across the multiple apps and services they might use. It’s preferable for this data to be synced automatically through Shopify's APIs so that the process is less complex for merchants. If your app is unable to do this because of a technical or policy limitation, then you need to provide merchants with the ability to manually sync their data through your app’s interface or through tools that Shopify will provide for you in the future.

If this was made clear from the beginning, it would have caused much less turmoil and much less friction.

2 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 10

@epieters wrote:

The wording in https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/storing-customer-data on which data needs to be sync'd, changed in the last couple of days.....

If this was made clear from the beginning, it would have caused much less turmoil and much less friction.

Well, it's still clear as mud to me. Can someone explain, in layman's terms, to those of us makers who aren't tech savvy, exactly what is the problem between Shopify and MailChimp?

1 Like