Upselling after sending invoice

rstolz17
Excursionist
18 0 3

So for my store I typically send customers an invoice via email for a custom product. I am looking for a way to upsell after they click through the email and proceed to the checkout page. So they easily add the additional items with a click, or they can refuse and continue to pay the original invoice amount.

Is this possible?

0 Likes
Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1836 210 426

Hey there,

I think we may have a solution for you. DM-ed you.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
868 60 252

Hi, @rstolz17

My name is Rae and I work for Shopify. Thanks for posting this question! 

There are quite a few apps that can be used to add an upsell feature to the cart page on your site. Some options for this are: 

To see the full list of apps in our App Store that offer this functionality, check out this link

Each of these apps offer free trials, so I recommend testing out each one to find out which app will work best for the feature you’re looking for. However, please make sure to uninstall any apps that you aren’t using to avoid being charged for them once their trial period ends. 

If you have questions about using any apps on our platform, please click into the app our App Store, and you can find the contact information for the app developers under the ‘Support’ section of that page. Please use this contact information to reach out to the developers with your question. Since they built and developed the app, they will be the best people to help further. 

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach back out here and I’d be glad to help further.

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1836 210 426

hey @Rae , the original poster was asking for a way to provide cross-sells/upsells for customers already engaged into checkout, as the invoice email template will have a link to a checkout, rather then a cart. Not that many apps have such a feature and going through all the available cross-sell/upsell apps one by one doesn't look feasible.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
868 60 252

Hey, @Visely-Team and @rstolz17

Thank you for clarifying, @Visely-Team. You’re correct that apps cannot be used to customize the checkout on our platform to include upsells. Access to our checkout coding is limited due to security reasons, which is why apps aren’t able to alter our checkout form. I’m sorry for not clarifying this in my original response! 

With this information in mind, the best way to add upsells to stores on our platform is typically by adding this feature onto the cart page. For more information on why this works, please check out this blog post which explains how to improve customer experience and increase revenue with upselling. This resource also covers information about cross-selling, which is slightly different than upselling, but the two tactics can be used in conjunction to help increase sales. 

I understand how it would be ideal to offer upsells in the checkout in this instance, so I will pass this feedback over to our developers so that they can read over your thoughts too. We value your feedback and we’re always looking to improve, so hopefully this is something we can offer in the future. If this feature is added, we will share it on our announcements page here and also in our changelog here

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

0 Likes
ChubbyLeaf
1 0 0

Am I understanding this correctly that a customer cannot add an active product to their order that started via an email? Could I send a link to a product that isn’t visible on the store to a customer and then have that cust add it to cart? Im needing to do this more frequently and I’m confused about the up selling references above? Seems that the 1st original order can’t even be completed let alone start thinking about upselling. Hopefully I’m mistaken, I just can’t see the logic in making customer perform 2 transactions and that’s the bright side because you may not even end up selling all the items or services the customer originally wanted?

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
868 60 252

Hi, @ChubbyLeaf

Thanks for following up on this thread. 

To clarify, are you using draft orders to start your customers orders? If not, can you tell me a bit more about what you mean when you mention an 'order that started via email'? 

If you are using draft orders, you can send an invoice to a customer that contains a product that isn't available on the online store by following these steps. Have you tried this on your end and run into any troubles? 

Feel free to share some more details with me to outline how your orders are currently created and processed, and I'll be happy to clarify any confusion you have in regard to the previous upselling resources shared. In the meantime though, if you're interested in upselling, you can absolutely offer upsells to customers on their original order. Once I know more about the workflow you use to create orders, and how you'd like your customers to view upsells, I can help recommend the best way to set this up on your site. 

I hope to hear back from you about this soon! 

0 Likes